5

I run my mascara brush over my lashes. I pull back, blink twice, and eye my look in the mirror before me. There's a thin layer of makeup on my face, pulling off the perfect natural look. A light shade of lipstick stains my lips, matching the baby pink coloured crop top I'm wearing. I've paired it with a short denim, and classic black vans. My brown hair is pulled up into a high ponytail, with a few strands framing my face.

"Lucy?" My mother's voice calls from the hallway.

"I'm coming!"

I take a step back from the mirror in my bathroom, and eye my outfit once more. The beauty gods have blessed me with a bit of a chubby tum, and thighs that rub together when I walk. I wouldn't class myself as skinny, or overweight. I'm healthy.

I look hot as fuck.

I'm definitely feeling good today.

Today is my first day at my new school, and I'm only slightly terrified. I'm glad Liam took me to Kaleem's party Saturday night, so at least I'll know a few people, even if its just Liam's friends, and none in my year.

I ended up hanging out with them all night, and already got to know them quite well.

Alex's last name is Garcia, and he moved to Miami from Cuba with his parents a couple years ago. He's Mary's second cousin, which is how he met Liam. I also found out Kal's name is Kaleem Washington. He lives with his parents and 2 younger siblings. His dad mum works as a surgeon, and his dad is a teacher.

I spent a while outside talking to Oliver, but didn't find out much about him. Instead, we mostly just talked about books. Apparently, he's Liam's best friend though, so I'm sure I'll be getting to know him much better. He's actually much kinder than he looked when we met. He even laughed a few times.

I wasted my morning in bed yesterday, watching Netflix and reading a few chapters. Later in the afternoon, mum took me to the store to buy me some new notebooks and other stationary fro school today. But afterwards, I went right back to my cocoon.

It's actually so nice to be back here. I've been spending time with my family, seeing m old area again, and overall, just relaxing. I'm sure the pressure will pick up when I'm at school. But for now, everything feels good.

"Yo, Lucy!" My brother bangs on my door.

"What?" I call.

"We gotta go!"

I throw my bag over my shoulder, and follow Liam into the kitchen. He's gone for his standard look, a pair of black jeans, and a plain, matching top. His hair is styled into a quiff, and a packet of cigarettes sticks out of his back pocket.

I'm not actually sure if my parents know that he smokes, but I'd assume so. He's 18, and my parents are pretty chill anyway.

My parents are both standing in the kitchen, with my dad piling up a stack of waffles at the counter.

"Alright kids," he grins. "Take as many as you want."

"We're a little late, so we gotta eat in the car," Liam tells him, biting into one.

"No, no," mum shakes her head. "Take your time eating."

"Mum," I groan. "I don't want to be late. It's my first day."

She sighs. "Will you guys at least be home for dinner?"

"Yes mum," Liam grumbles, only receiving a laugh in response.

I take two waffles for myself, and follow Liam back out of the kitchen, waving goodbye to my parents. By the time I get into the car, Liam's already got the aircon going.

I have to admit, the closer we get to school, the more nervous I feel. Butterflies form in my stomach, and I'm beginning to feel nauseous. My hands are clammy, so I hold them in front of the aircon vent to cool them down.

"You'll be fine, Lucy," Liam says. "I promise."

"I'm not even concerned about making friends or anything," I explain. "It's just the new environment that scares me."

"I swear, we'll explain everything to you and make sure you know how everything works."

"It sounds so confusing," I sigh.

"The schools just very cliquey," he shrugs.

I scrunch up my nose, but don't respond.

The car pulls up to a parking lot. It's already pretty filled up, but Liam manages to find a spot near the football field on the side of the school. Kaleem, Alex, and Oliver, are standing just before the car, where a small wooden table is. They're smoking again, despite the giant 'No Smoking' sign plastered on the wall of the school.

How the hell do they pull that off?

"Where's Mary?" I ask Liam.

He presses the home button on his phone, reading a text message notification.

"She's at the office waiting for you," he tells me.

I nod, and step out of the car. The lot is noisy, but not with cars. There's a group of boys near the school entry causing the ruckus. They're each wearing varsity jackets, and loudly yelling at each other in their little circle.

"Don't worry," Liam says. "They'll stay away from you."

"Welcome, Lucy!" Kal greets me, a giant smile on his face.

He presses his cigarette out beneath his shoe. His dreads are hanging loosely around his face today, but he doesn't look any less attractive than he did yesterday. Honestly, this boy's got some good genes.

"Are you nervous?" He asks me.

"A little," I chuckle awkwardly.

"Nah, don't be," he says. "You'll be fine. Besides, we're all here for the vent. Hell, Oliver even showed up on time for once."

I shift my head over to Oliver, who completely ignores Kaleem's comments. But then, he lifts his cigarette-free arm, and flicks the back of Kaleem's head. I stifle a laugh, watching Kal reach for his head.

"Ow, man! What the heck," Kal scowls at Oliver, whose expression remains unbothered.

"Alright, boys," Alex chimes in. "I think it's time to head inside. Poor Liam's about to burst."

He's nor wrong. Liam's typing away on his phone, probably eager to get to Mary.

Luckily, their fun natures actually distracted me from my nervousness. I'm feeling a little calmer now, but then again, the days barely even begun.