7

The teacher never showed up.

But, Liam was right.

One of the other students went to the office, and I spent the hour in the library. I didn't exactly have any work to do, obviously. So I just read a book until the bell rang. My next two classes were fairly uneventful. The teachers didn't even make me introduce myself to the class, which I was thankful for.

I sat next to a girl at the front of the class during biology, but she left as soon as I sat down.

With Kal and Alex in suspension, I sent the lunch our alone with Mary. Liam and Oliver apparently had some kind of practice SAT they had to sit through. But Liam wasn't there to drive me home after class, either. His car wasn't in the parking lot anymore, and neither was Mary's. I knew Mary had to pick up her little sister from school, but Liam should've still been there. Alex and Kaleem found me at the front entrance, and Alex offered me a lift home. Apparently, he drives in that direction anyway.

Liam's car was in the driveway when we got there.

"You want to come in?" I ask Alex, not more relaxed.

"Nah, I've got some homework to do," he shakes his head. "But make sure Liam knows not to bail on you anymore."

I chuckle. "It's okay, he probably had something to do."

"It's okay, I can drive you whenever you need," he smiles.

"Thanks, Alex," I say. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Sounds good."

I step out of his car, and walk over the driveway to the front door. It's unlocked, so I know Liam's home. My parents are both at work now, and they'd lock the door if it was empty.

"Liam?" I call.

No response.

I quickly dump my bag in my room, and continue through the hallway.

"Are you home?" I ask, but once again, receive no response.

It's not until I make it to the living room, that I see him. Our eyes meet, but only briefly. I'm too busy taking in his appearance.

He's laying on the couch, wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants. His hair is messy, not as styled as it usually is. There's a blanket scrunched up at his feet. He's holding a bucket of ice cream in his hand, and a spoon at his lips. His eyes are squinted and red. He's been crying.

"Liam?" I frown, stepping into the room.

I've never seen my brother cry before.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

I sit on the edge of the couch, and look up at the TV. 13 Reasons Why is playing.

"Is this what's making you so sad?" I ask.

He sniffles, and pauses the show. His eyes travel down to the coffee table. I follow them, and spot a torn open envelope.

"I didn't get it," he whimpers, dumping the ice cream container on the table. "They don't want me."

"What?" I scowl. "No way."

My brother applied to multiple colleges for next year, but there's only one he really wanted to go to. He's been wanting to go to college ever since middle school. He was going to become a lawyer.

"I'm not even waitlisted," he says.

"But you had the grades!" I exclaim.

He shrugs. "It doesn't matter anymore."

"Yes, it does! You can do something about it!"

He shakes his head.

"What about the other schools you applied to?" I wonder.

"they don't matter," he says. "I don't even want to go to them."

"I'm so sorry, Liam," I sigh.

I know how badly he wanted to get in. In fact, when he posted his application, he spent an hour on the phone with me raving about it.

I never even considered the fact that he might not get in.

"I don't know what to do," he sniffles. "I got the email today in class, and I just left."

"It's okay," I urge.

"I feel like a fucking pussy," he grumbles.

"Hey, hey," I console him. "It's perfectly okay to be upset."

He shakes his head. "I should've done better."

"there's nothing more you could've done," I say. "Could you apply again next year?"

"And do what now? Spend the year feeling like a fucking failure?" he spits. "I'm sure Kaleem got into college. That kid's got better grades than I do."

"Maybe you could start college somewhere else, and transfer?" I suggest.

"It's not fucking worth it, Lucy," he says. "You were right from the start."

I frown. I have no idea what I said.

"About what?" I ask.

"College is fucking pointless."

Oh. Right. I used to tell him that all the time, a few years ago when I was in New York. I lost all interest in taking AP classes and getting into a good college. But I didn't mean it like this.

"Yeah, for me," I say. "Not for you. People like you belong at college."

"People like me?" he scowls. "You mean people who cheat their way through high school?"

"What?" I gasp.

No way.

"You really think I could pass English without help?" he scoffs. "You're the genius, not me."

"Are you serious?"

He nods. "I barely did shit. I paid kids to do my work. I hacked into the administrator to change my grades."

"Why would you?!" I exclaim.

"I knew I wanted to be a lawyer, I just couldn't be bothered doing the work."

Unbelievable. I'm not angry, I'm just shocked. This whole time I thought Liam was doing so well in school. He knew what he wanted, and he was going to work for it. I, on the other hand, bludged my way through all my classes. I thought we were opposites.

"I guess we're not that different after all," I smile.

"Yes we are," he says.

I frown.

"You would never cheat like I did, and lie about it over and over again," he explains.

I sigh. I'm not sure how to respond.

"Do you want Mary here?" I ask.

"No," he shakes his head. "She doesn't need a fucking dickhead of a boyfriend like me."

"That's crazy, Liam. She'll understand."

"No, Lucy," he reiterates.

"Okay," I say.

I move to get up, thinking he needs his space.

"Mum and dad are working late," he says just before I exit the room. "Oliver's bringing over dinner."

I nod, and begin to exit once more. But then I think of something.

"Hey, Liam," I say. "You should consider studying IT instead of Law. You'd be got at it."

He nods, but doesn't say anything. There's a slight pout on his lips, and he shifts his eyes back over to his show.