4

The music thumps through my ears as I sing along loudly. My hips shake back and forth, letting out a laugh as I dance with Mary. Someone knocks into me, spilling my drink on the floor, but I don't care.

Mary laughs at me, but doesn't stop dancing either. I take a final swing from my drink, emptying it.

"I've gotta go get some water!" I call.

"Sounds good, I'll go find Liam!"

I nod at her, and we part ways.

I worm my way through the crowd, trying not to bump into anyone. I take a bottle of water off the kitchen counter, and head for the front door. Some fresh air is just what I need right now.

Mary and I had been dancing non-stop for what felt like hours. The guys thought dancing was lame, so didn't join us. Instead, they stayed outside, smoking and drinking.

I actually had no idea Liam smoked, and that all his friends were such poster boys for troublemakers. I don't exactly have a problem with it though, it's not really my business. Mary also smokes now, which didn't surprise me at all. She fits perfectly in that group.

I sit down on the front lawn, sipping my water. My make up is already completely ruined, and my forehead sweaty. I might as well add mud butt to that equation.

"What are you doing out here?"

I turn my head over to the source of the voice. Liam's friend Oliver stands over me, another cigarette between his fingers.

"Just refuelling," I say.

He nods, but doesn't say anything.

"It's Oliver right?" I ask, knowing damn well that it is.

"Yeah," he nods. "You want a smoke?"

I shake my head. Oliver shrugs, and takes a seat next to me. Even when sitting, he towers over me, and I'm not short. I'm about 5'7, but he must be at least 6'4.

"How tall are you?" I ask before I can stop myself. "I'm sorry, you probably get asked that all the time."

He shrugs. "6'5."

"Impressive," I nod.

Our conversation runs dry once more.

"So, how long have you known Liam?" I ask.

"Couple years," he responds.

I sigh. "You're not very talkative, are you?"

He just shrugs again.

I nod, turning my eyes back to the grass.

"You like Bon Iver?" he finally speaks.

"They're my favourite band," I confess. "What about you?"

"They're okay," he says. "I'm more into The Offspring."

"Do you like Foo Fighters?"

He scoffs. "Who doesn't?"

"That's a good point," I laugh.

"So, Liam tells me you're some kind of prodigy?"

I shake my head. This is the last thing I want to talk about.

"I just like reading," I say.

"You like Tolstoy?"

"You know Tolstoy?" I frown.

"He's my favourite," he tells me, a smirk forming on his face. "You seem surprised."

"You just don't look like-," I pause, rewording myself. "I didn't expect you to..."

"It's okay," he says, realising my struggle. "I'm the last person you'd expect to enjoy reading."

I purse my lips, nodding my head to the ground. I obviously don't know this guy, but his appearance and attitude definitely indicted more hard as interests. A Heath Ledger in 10 Things I Hate About You, kind of guy.

"Why aren't you inside?" I question him.

"I got a phone call I had to take," he says.

"At midnight?" I frown.

"Yeah, it's just work."

I chuckle. "At midnight?"

"It's a 24/7 kind of job."

"You an uber driver or something?"

"Something," he says.

So helpful. Totally clarifies everything. I definitely know what he does now.

"Nice," I laugh.

"You know...,' he begins. "Liam's been my best friend since freshman year. The first time we hung out, he spent half the time talking about you."

I grin. "He did?"

"He talked about you so much, I feel like I know you already."

"Well, that saves you the effort of having to," I laugh.

"I wouldn't mind," he says. "My door is just as open to you, as it is to Liam."

A smile creeps onto my face. That's such a lovely gesture to make.

"Thanks," I say. "I appreciate that."

"It's my pleasure, Lucy Robins," he responds. "My pleasure."