32

I burst through the doors of the school, letting the warm air hit my face. The parking lot is almost empty, besides the a few cars here and there, including Oliver's car.

My class got held back today, after two students failed to finish the work on time. Liam left with Kaleem after lunch, to introduce him to some people at Ferrari Freight. Oliver was meant to go too, but he refused to listen to me when I told him I was fine without him. He insisted on staying at school with me, and even spent study hall with me.

It's almost like having a guard dog, but a very sweet, kissable guard dog.

Alex still hasn't made his mind up about working for Oliver, so Mary went over to his place to see how he's holding up.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see someone storm around the corner towards me. The man is wearing a varsity jacket, but before I can see who it is, he takes the jacket off. He throws it on the ground, and begins stomping on it.

I take a few steps towards him, but I'm hesitant. He stops his stomping, and kicks the jacket against the wall of the school. I begin approaching him. I should at least check if the poor guy is okay.

But then he looks up at me, and I realize who it is.

Jack Matthews stands with fury on his face and tears in his eyes.

He looks away from me, but his anger hasn't subsided. He pulls something out of his pocket, and fiddles with it.

A lighter.

"Jack, no!" I yell.

I run towards him, trying to stop his action. He drops the lighter onto his jacket, and stares at it as the fire slowly begins to spread.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

I don't have any water, there's no fire extinguishers around. I reach for the sleeve of the jacket that the fire hasn't reached yet, and flip it over. I jump on it, making sure the fire is out.

"The fuck are you doing?!" Matthews shoves me, trying to stop me.

I stumble away from him, my back hitting the wall.

"Are you out of your mind?" I demand, frantically waving my hands at him.

"They kicked me off the ducking team!" he yells, tears threatening to spill out of his eyes again.

His words shock me. I thought he'd be a lot more angry at me, but instead, he's sad.

"What?" I frown.

"They kicked me," his breath stifles. "Off the team."

"How? Why?"

He shakes his head, taking a few breaths to stop the tears from spilling out.

"It doesn't matter," he says.

Well, he must've done something bad. He's only returned from his suspension a couple days ago. What could he have possibly done to get kicked off?

"Jack..." I mumble, hoping to get something out of him. "Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not ducking okay, goddammit," he spits.

"Maybe I can help you," I say, but I have no idea how. "if you tell me what happened, I can maybe see what I can do."

"There's nothing you can do," he scoffs.

I sigh, and take a few steps over to him. I never even thought about how my tormentor could be tormented as well.

"I'm not going to force you, but I think you should talk about what happened," I say.

He hesitates, but I think he's finally about to tell me something. He opens is mouth to speak, but he's cut off by a furious Oliver coming our way.

"What the fuck are you thinking, Matthews?!" he yells, charging towards as with fury in his eyes.

Jack takes a few steps backwards, backing off from my boyfriend.

"Oliver," I say gently, hoping to calm him

Down. "Can you wait in the car for a second?"

Oliver grips the collar of Jacks shirt, pinning him against the wall besides me. I step away from them, not wanting to be involved in this fight.

"I fucking told you to stay away!" Ollie yells. "Was my message not clear?"

What message?

I pull on Oliver arm, hoping to get him off him.

"Haven't you beat me up enough?" Jack scoffs.

"What?!" I exclaim. Why haven't I heard about this before? "Ollie, you need to back off right now."

"You better watch your fucking back, Matthews," Oliver speaks through gritted teeth.

"Oliver!" I tell, trying to pull him off Jack. "Let him go!"

Ollie's eyes meet mine, his anger frightening me. He must've noticed, because his eyes soften, and he lets go. Jack falls to the floor, catching his breathe.

"What the hell, Lucy?" Oliver asks. "Why didn't you call me?"

"Just go wait in the car!" I exclaim.

I just want to talk to Jack for just a little longer. I understand why Ollie is so angry, but he interrupted something important.

"I don't think so," he scoffs.

His eyes flicker between me and Jack, trying to figure out what was going on. Jack stands back up, straightening out his shirt.

"Please," I urge. "I just need to talk to Jack."

"Forget it," he shakes his head. "I'm staying with you."

I sigh, and look up at Jack. His eyes are completely expressionless.

"Do you want to come over tonight?" I ask him.

"Hell no!" Oliver interrupts."

"Ollie, please," I give him a stern look, and then return to Jack.

"It's not going to happen, Robins," Jack says.

"I'm not going to forget this," I urge. "One way or another, you need to talk about what happened. I can help you, I promise."

Jack rolls his eyes, and walks away, leaving me standing next to a confused and angry boyfriend.