25

"Happy birthday dear Lucy!" my family cheers. "Happy birthday to you!"

I laugh at them, blowing out the candles on the cake.

"Yay!" Mum cheers, cutting through the cake. "You happy to be 16?"

"Very," I smile. "I feel older already."

"You're forever my little sis," Liam grins.

"Aw!" dad laughs.

"I'm so glad you two kids get along," mum says.

I scoff. "It's probably because we were apart for so long."

"no, no," mum shakes her head. "Even as kids you were besties."

"Besties," Liam laughs at her choice of words, but mum ignores it.

Instead, she hands me a piece of cake, plated up on a plastic plate. I begin eating it without waiting for the others.

Man, I love cake.

My dad made me my favourite today, a simple chocolate cake. Too tasty. He's even decorated it with some peanuts.

"Is it good?" he asks, taking his own piece.

"The best," I take another bite.

"Ah!" dad grins. "Perfect. There's another one for tonight, and I'm also making a cherry pie!"

"Dad! You don't have to!" I object.

"None of that," he says. "It's a treat for both you and I."

I smile at him, thankful to have such a nice family.

My dad loves cooking. His mum taught him when he was a kid, and he tried reaching us, but I have no interest in learning. I do love food, but the preparation seems like such a drag. Maybe one day in the future.

I finish my slice of cake, and push my plate away from me, recovering from the sugar boom.

The sound of the bell ringing interrupts my momentary relaxation, and I instantly get up, knowing it's Mary. Liam gets up as well, walking behind me.

He beats me to the door though, and throws it open. Before I can even get a look at her, Liam has locked his lips on hers, cradling her body.

I honestly can't tell if it's cute or gross. But luckily, I don't have to decide. Liam pulls away from Mary, and skips over to me.

"Happy birthday, girl!" Mary cheers, wrapping me up in a hug.

"Aw, thank you!" I laugh, letting her further into the house.

"Did you have a nice day so far?"

"Yeah, I've just been reading, to be honest," I laugh.

My parents gave me a stack of books for my birthday, so reading was the only logical thing to do.

Liam enters the kitchen behind us, sliding his hand over Mary's waist.

"Hi Mary, dear," my mum waves at her.

"Hi! It smells so nice in here," she laughs.

"I'm baking the third cake of the day," my dad says, measuring some milk.

"Oh wow!"

"He's crazy!" my mum teases him.

"I love cake though!" I defend him.

"Would you like some Mary?" mum offers her.

"Oh, no thanks, not yet," she laughs. "I just had doughnuts in the car."