016 • IRL

I woke up that night, a cold breeze rushing over me.
I looked over to see Joe sound asleep on the bed next to me, the tv still playing the movie we had fell asleep watching.

I shivered as another gust of wind ran past me.
I looked over to see the window next to my bed open.
My eyebrows furrowed in confusion because I never have my windows open because the apartment was air conditioned.

I walked over to the window, the rain falling heavily outside

I looked down, to see a wilting rose set on the fire escape.
I looked around, my heart beating heavily as I picked up the rose, petals falling off in the process.

I jumped as I felt a hand touch my back, I dropped the rose as I turned to face whoever just touched me.
"Hey Shh it's okay it's just me" Joe said as my body shook in fear.

I sighed, my body instantly calming down as I caught my breath, my heart continued to beat quickly while I stood up, my hand clutching my chest.
"What are you doing up?" I asked and he smiled softly.

"I could ask you the same thing, why do you have this window open it's freezing" he said, wrapping the blanket tighter around him as he leaned out to grab the window, closing and locking it in the process.

"Yeah sorry, I uh, just needed some fresh air" I lied, wrapping the cardigan I had fell asleep in, tightly around my body.

"Come back to bed, it's late" Joe said and I nodded, climbing back into the bed.
"I'll stay in the living room" he said, going to turn but I caught his hand, stopping him from leaving.

"Stay? Please?" I asked softly.
He looked down at me before nodding and getting in the bed.
He wrapped his arm around me, pulling me into his chest before he quickly fell back to sleep.

My heart continued racing as I thought about the window and the rose.
My brain went through multiple possibilities until I figured that the wind probably blew the window open, and the rose came from one of the apartments above mine.
When I finally calmed down, I fell back asleep, not knowing the real reason as to why the window was open.

________________

Hey guys really short chapter but I wanted to build up some suspense for some of the future chapters, hope you guys enjoy.