022 • IRL

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END

____________

"Paisley?" I heard from behind me as I stood in line at a local coffee shop.
I turned around to see someone I never thought I'd see again.

"Garrett? Oh my gosh hi how are you?" I said to the person I came face to face with.

"I'm good, and how are you?" He asked, joining me in the line.

"I'm good, I'm good" I said with a slight nod.

"I heard you have a new show coming out" he said and I nodded.

"Yeah it's actually premiering on the third" I said with a slight smile on my face before it was my turn to order.
"Can I get a large iced caramel latte please with an extra shot" I said to the barista.

"That'll be $6.07" she said with a smile on her face, before I could hand her my card, Garrett had already passed her a ten dollar bill.

"I got it" He said, I smiled softly at him, thanking him in the process.
"I see you still get the same thing as when we were together" he said and I looked down at my shoes, nodding in response.

"Yeah, that's something that'll never change" I said before looking back up at him.

He looked down at his watch before speaking "Hey I uh- I gotta go. It was nice seeing you. I hope to see you again soon" he said, before leaning over and placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Wait" I tried to call after him but he had left the coffee shop to quickly.
"You didn't even get a coffee" I mumbled to myself, before my name was called, indicating my drink was ready.

I thanked the lady before placing five dollars in the tip jar, leaving the coffee shop quickly.

___________

"Garrett? You mean the Garrett you dated for three months when you first got back from Australia?" Dacre asked, sitting across from me.

"Yeah, I also mean the Garrett that cheated on me three months into the relationship that he wanted" I replied.

Dacre rolled his eyes "that kid is clearly stupid for even thinking about cheating on you, but anyways, he was at the coffee shop and left without buying a coffee?"

"Yeah, well he bought my coffee but he didn't buy his own, and then he started talking about how he wanted to see me again soon" I said as I stuck my fork into my pasta.
"Why would he want to see me when he's the one who cheated? Plus, it's been seven years shouldn't he be over it by now? Hell I am"

"Maybe he wants to apologize" Dacre said and I rolled my eyes.

"Or maybe he wants to weasel his way into my life again and then once I open up to him he rips my heart out again" I said earning a snicker from Dacre.

"He can't rip your heart out because you're with Joe" he said and I sighed.

"I know but still" I grumbled.

"Eat your salad and stop overthinking it" he said and I let out a soft grumble.
"And quit acting like a child"

"Quit acting like my father"

______________

"I want a puppy" I said sadly, as I scrolled through a bunch of videos of puppies on Instagram.

"You have a dog, in case you can't see him sitting on your lap" Dacre said and I rolled my eyes.

"I want another puppy"