Prologue

The sun was setting. The jailer sent a package of sweet bread her way.

That was the only thing served here. It was better than what was served before.

"What did you say you were in here for again?" The prisoner at the left whose name she'd learned was 'Stavros'.

"I tried to kill the king, apparently. No big deal." Lunia replied, biting into the sweet bread.

The prisoner at the right whistled. His name was 'Stan', he smelled and looked mortal. She always wondered what the hell he was doing here.

"Hey, you guys never told me why you were both were here?"

"Oh, me? I mistakenly wandered into a time loop and the demons caught me and brought me here." Stan said. Poor guy. At least the dragons sent the wandering mortals towards the Fey. Demons imprisoned them. It was a sad thought. To be imprisoned just because you wandered into the wrong mess.

"And me? I attempted to kill a royal guard. No big deal." Woah.

She snorted. "Why did you try kill the royal guard? "

"He seduced my wife and slept with her during mating period. Which automatically led to her being pregnant...with somebody else's child." His words sent a chill down her spine. Mating season....

"Does...does mating season always lead to pregnancy?"

"Yes. It's nature's way of ensuring the continuation of the species. But you know what, for a few years now the children being born are not fully demon and sometimes just die before being born. I wonder why that is?"

It was the curse of the fates. But Nikolai and she were together now. So the curse had to be withdrawn. Mating season led to pregnancy. Lunia hoped that this one time, nature targeted someone else and not her.

It had been three and a half weeks since she'd been imprisoned again. Her public execution had been declared three days from now. On the same day, it was a full moon night. She would have to publicly flee from the execution site. In front of the whole Kingdom, which would no doubt put a huge bounty on her head.

But it was her deadline. Oh the Irony.

She couldn't bring a baby in between all of this.

War. Separation. Crazy Dragons.

And suppose if the spell Runeria had given her did not work? Lunia had her doubts as to why she had been given the spell.

Runeria had maybe expected her to just escape once she got the spell and make her work easier but her plans failed and she must've forgotten about it. But Lunia never did.

She remembered the words clearly. Apparently there was a rune somewhere that Nikolai had had enchanted to keep her trapped to this place and her powers dimmed. The spell , Este Populous Ra Menelus, would instantly break the rune to free her and she could shapeshift again.

Her time in this spell had been brief. Her unexpected friends keeping her entertained.

"Boys, when I'm Queen again then I'll free you both. "

"I can go back home then? Damn, my ma must've forgotten me. "

"And I can marry again, maybe? Divorce that cheating scum. Find myself a virginal beauty. "

"Are you sure that beauty'd want you? Your filthy looking."

"This? It's just grime and dirt. A nice hot bath and I'll be as good as new."

"What about you're face? Will it be new too? You're kinda ugly."

"Like you're really pretty."