Chapter 26- Friends and Enemies

"You lied to me." I said, when I sensed Darivarr's presence behind me as I walked through the hallways of the Hawkheart mansion.

"I did?" He asked. Pisces made a some sounds, explaining something maybe.

"What is he saying?" Darivarr asked as he came to walk beside me.

"You don't understand his language either?" I asked, surprised. So, I'm not the only one then.

He started to answer but I cut him off. "On second thought, I don't talk to liars." I hurried towards the door, the scent of the Elves too much for me to bear.

He followed and called out to me. "Wait, please." He pleaded.

An elf pleading. A royal one, that too. I stopped, folding my arms. He stopped beside me.

"You said Daramon gave me special permission to enter. It was a lie, wasn't it?" He signed at my accusation but still nodded.

"I lied so that you could enter...." I raised my eyebrow motioning him to continue. "....I heard from someone that you had visited the Soul Shredder."

I looked at him, sharply when he said the name. "And?"

He looked around and motioned towards the shade of a tree. I narrowed my eyes but followed. We stopped behind the tree, Pisces started rubbing his spit on the bark, we ignored the sound.

Darivarr looked nervous. "The Soul Shredder....See, I'm a part of...." he looked around again.

I signed in exasperation. "Tell me already."

He looked at me, tracing the features of my face, from the tips of my horns to my chin. It got awkward. I was about to punch him when he continued speaking,

"I was hoping you'd tell me something about the Soul Shredder. "

I narrowed my eyes at him. What in Hades, I was instantly suspicious.

"And why is that?"

He shrugged, blushing suddenly. "I've been fascinated with studying the Elder species since childhood. I've tried to extend relations with them but Daramon is very against it. He doesn't want to waste our resources."

"That sounds like him."

He nodded. "The war took a big toll on us. Our father died during the war and Daramon had to take over the mantle. Our mother was too much into her grief." He looked saddened for a moment then put up a hopeful look.

"I want to come with you-"

"I'm not going to see the Soul Shredder again." I said, quickly. I already had enough weirdos on the group. Didn't need another.

He shook his head quickly. "I just want to hear some about him.....and escape from here." I raised my eyebrows at that.

He looked around again, then continued. "I'm on house arrest....it's not important. Please, take me with you. I swear I'll be good." He looked kinda stupid, pleading. I sighed.

"As long as you don't trouble me." His smile made him look younger and carefree. The scar on his face almost disappearing.

We walked out from behind the tree. "Where are you going next?"

"To the Whitemane pack lands." He grinned. "Looking for trouble, are you?"

I grinned back, "Business. Business. Business."

"I will meet you in the Sonim woods. They're east of Theteyas, Whitemane back is just a little further."

I nodded. "I used to live in Sophie, you know, I can find my way. Thanks, still."

He smiled. "Sure. I'll see you soon."

He slinked off into the opposite direction. Pisces made a sound and I looked at him.

This time, I could finally understand the question in his eyes.

"Should we trust him?"

I shrugged and looked again, at Darivarr's retreating back.

"We should keep our friends close....and enemies closer." I looked into his sea green eyes, knowing that he's the only one I can trust in my mission.

"Lets go....To the Sonim woods."