Chapter 31- The Call

A voice so ancient and strong sounding followed that Nikolai automatically flinched.

"Thank you, young demon." The voice said. It was speaking the ancient demon language. Nobody spoke that language anymore. Nikolai knew about it as he had studied it on a whim.

"Who are you?" He asked.

"I am Anamaepaeia. The being of knowledge. For centuries, I have been slumbering, now you have awoken me. From the hearts of my makers, I thank you, Demon King."

Nikolai felt the air ahead of him with his hands, he took two steps and touched solid, cold metal, in the shape of a small box.

"What is this? What are you?"

"I used to be a nymph in the halls of Olympus. The technotrites worshipped me and when it was time for me to pass on, they preserved a part of my consciousness in this machine, to preserve the knowledge I have."

He felt around the box. It had markings on it. Weird language. Maybe the language used by the Technotrites, they had a unique language of harsh sounds. Nikolai was curious and suspicious, but his curiosity won over.

"Which knowledge do you posses?"

"I possess the knowledge of all the lands of time originating from the Middle. Hence I was created here in this lab situated in the center realm of the Middle. I have lain forgotten after my Technotrite makers were killed when their enemies tried to capture me. I have all kinds of knowledge hence, I have been imprisoned here so that no one may possess my power."

Nikolai didn't say anything. It was a precious machine indeed. Otherworld would kill to have knowledge upon everyone. Nikolai....He himself loved studying history and this was a very valuable machine for him....But, he didn't want it.

"Now that you are free, what can you do? Can you, uh, help me to return to Otherworld? Or Earth?"

"Earth is only one. It has different timelines. I believe you belong to the timeline in which all species live together in harmony?"

"Yes." Nikolai said, suddenly getting excited. Maybe it could send a message.

"Can you help me get there?" The machine vibrated under his hands, as if thinking. It probably hovered or was seated upon a pedestal, Nikolai didn't check.

"There is a portal in the middle of a maze situated in the east garden, the portal will take you straight to the Fey Islands of Otherworld. However the portal is not connected to Otherworld, the veil is hiding it. " It said.

Nikolai cursed. The damn portal in the maze. He'd thought Runeria had been lying to entice him, but she hadn't been. The portal was really there. But it was useless. Even if he had found It, the portal would only lead him back to the maze, it was blocked from the other side.

"Do you want me to send a message to the Fey? They are the closest intelligent species I can contact from this distance. Someone can connect to the portal from Otherworld and create a passage for you."

Nikolai nodded eagerly, and replied when he realised that the machine did not understand gestures. "Yes, please. Send a message to the Fey. Tell them Nikolai Shizkov, the Demon King, requests help."

"It will take me a few minutes but your message will reach the Fey. Till then, I shall renew my memory bank. Please step aside and await further information."

He jerked away from the machine as it buzzed violently.

Nikolai's stomach growled. His head and body ached, he couldn't sleep in this place. He had to be constantly on guard.