Chapter 8- The Fall

Alicia moaned as her belly clenched.

"Dima. " She whispered.

Dimitri, who stood gazing out the window came at once, taking her hand in his.

"Ali, you're awake, thank the gods."

"What...what happened?" She asked, her memory unclear. The last thing she remembered was that her Dimitri was sentencing her to house arrest and then...what happened?

"You were taking too much stress. You fainted. You went into premature labour."

She gasped. "No! I'm...not that far along, yet...how?"

Dimitri's face crumpled, his eyes getting sad. "It's possible...due to stress..oh, Ali, I'm so sorry."

He buried his face in her neck, she was surprised to feel wetness.

"Dima, no. It's not your fault." Her own tears gathered in her eyes. Her smart and strong husband, reduced to this...Alicia felt her chest tighten with shame and fear.

Maybe she had done wrong...but Lunia...she wouldn't kill Nikolai, she had been very sincere when she told them what happened that morning. And Umaya, Alicia hated that women, she was a manipulative bitch, Alicia had seen her work in the royal court, how she played games with people's hearts and feeling, and she was one of Nikolai's scorned lovers, Alicia trusted Lunia and she was following their leader....It was a miracle that Dimitri did not find the four traitor.

He'd found only Alicia, Lucelle and Munroe...The fourth traitor was the one behind their plans. Alicia was grateful that they managed to be secretive enough to hide him.

She stroked Dimitri's hair as he lay beside her on the bed. His one hand lying gently on her belly.

He looked so tired, dark circles lay littered under his eyes and his hair was a mess.

They lay together silently, basking in each others presence, just happy to be together.

"I ordered Lunia's execution today."

Alicia closed her eyes, praying that some miracle happened and Lunia was safe.

"But the executioner freed her of her chains...and her souk gem. She escaped."

Alicia breathed a sigh of relief. Then her stomach tightned again and she groaned. Dimitri sat up, looking distressed.

"The healer is getting you something that will delay the contractions. " He said.

Alicia panted for breath through the pain, opening her glazed eyes.

"Dima...Please stay calm." She said, putting an arm around his neck.

"You are in pain. I cannot be calm. This is my fault."

"No." She moaned out. "It's not...your fault." She said and then breathed normally again.

"Dimitri Shizkov, you will not take the blame for what I did to myself....This is my fault, I should have been more careful. I should have been caring for my child mor-"

"More than you were caring for Lunia." He stated, angrily.

"Dimitri liste-"

"You will not try to make excuses. The executioner escaped as soon as I looked away from Lunia. Tell me, do you know who it was?"

Alicia hid her eyes from his. She knew but she wouldn't tell. Dimitri's face showed this understanding.

"Okay." He whispered. "You still..are at heart a traitor." Her tears flowed again at his words.