Chapter 16- The Kind King

Bile rose up in my throat, Hanes let me go to rush to the bathroom.

I made it in time to let out the barely anythings in my stomach. Hanes rubbed my back and held my hair away from my face.

The only thoughts in my head was that Nikolai should have been doing this.

Hanes quickly disappeared and reappeared with a glass of water once I was done washing my mouth.

We did not speak until I was lying on my bed again, the bedsheets tucked around me just the way I like.

"Do you need some ginger ale or crackers or Something?" He asked, clearing his throat.

I chuckled, it sounded hollow. "I'm not pregnant."

He looked at me, dubious. "You could be. I know that the Demons just had their mating period."

I blushed. He knew I'd....wait, what was Hanes doing in my room at - I looked at the newly installed alarm clock on the bedside table- 2:00 am?

I looked at him with the question in my eyes. He looked away.

"I heard you're cries."

I made a face. "You're room isn't on this floor."

He shrugged. "I was on my way to check on you."

I closed my eyes, rubbing them with my fingers. When I opened them I had a flash of the shackles on my hand and I jerked away, sitting up.

"Lunia..." I looked at him for a second.

"You can leave now, Hanes. I'm fine."

He sighed. "I worry about you. And I have to habit of coming to this room when I'm restless anyway." He shrugged again. It was a nervous habit, I realized, but the Hanes I knew hadn't ever been nervous.

I examined his face. He was starting to look his age. White hairs had started to form at his temples. The harsh angles of his regal face had started stoftening, crows feet were kept forming at the edges of his eyes.

Vampires were immortal, they never aged, could never die, only be killed. But age had began its appearance on Hanes face. It was the stress, I noted, Hanes needed a vacation.

After that, he would be as good as new.

"When are you going to step down as King?" I bluntly asked.

To hell with it, I was his daughter, I could ask him anything. It's not like he would put me in jail or something. Been there done that. What's the worst that could happen? And I sensed that Hanes was tired of being King anyway.

He looked at me with those ancient eyes. "I would if I could."

I thought about the person next in line to the throne. I shivered, thinking about my dream from before. That vampire...

"Its not him." I jerked away from my thoughts, my head whipping to look at Hanes.

"Hmm?" I asked.

"The next in line to the throne is Pius."

I looked away for a moment, confused. "But, I thought..."

He nodded. "He rejected the throne. I asked him to be King the year I sent you away."

"Oh." I didn't know what to say about that. The year I went away was the last year of war. I bet Hanes must've felt unworthy of the throne if he couldn't even protect his own daughter. He must've asked HIM out of self disgust.

I shrugged. Not knowing how to deal with the emotions that clogged me.

"I'd rather it be Cold Fish Pius than HIM."

Hanes face transformed as he laughed. His eyebrows relaxed and the crows eyes disappeared. His laugh was hearty and made me smile too.

"I can't believe you call Pius a cold fish."

"He acts like that. If I were in Catra's place, I'd make him grovel for my hand. But Catra's a pushover."

Hanes wiped a tear. "She just want to be happy, with all the things that happened to them."

"Totally cliché stuff if you ask me. Comas and losing your memory. But it makes me cautious of time portals. Heh, wandering in circles for six months, it makes me cut him some slack."

"True, we couldn't even find those smugglers, yet."

"Pius is lucky those Werewolf smugglers took his Vampire ass with them. I don't think anyone would buy him though."

Hanes laughs again. This time I join him.

Our laughs turn to chuckles soon. And then there is awkward silence.

Hanes shakes his head then, "You still hold a grudge against my Cousin." He stated.

I huffed. "He tried to kill me with a dagger."

Hanes looked at me with a 'Seriously' expression that Nikolai's owl, Shireen usually gave us.

"He pierced your cheek with his nail."

"I could have died. " I ignored his words. "He was so arrogant, and rude. And mean. And cold."

"Reminds me of someone else." Hanes said, pointedly looking at me.

"I know, just like Pius, right?" I purposely said.

Hanes signed and shook his head. "He would make a good King, you and I both know. He has a good relationship with the Elves- "

"A dozen of them are his mistresses, you mean."

"-And he is one of the oldest , most well-known, Vampires, even the mortals fear him-"

"They make nasty, horror-comedy movies on him, you mean."

"- He would be perfect for the job."

I shivered in disgust. "There would be no place for guests in this palace if he was made King. It would be fully occupied by his fuck buddies."

"That is true." Hanes nodded, solemly. "But still, he has the first claim to the throne, being my first cousin. And Pius is rejecting the responsibility, too. He has a family now. Being the King, is a time consuming and a dangerous job. It requires his full attention. And with the way he had been treating Catra, he gives all his time to her."

"He's not King material exactly either." I said. "He's..."

"Too Kind." Hanes said for me.

"I was going to say Prissy." I scowled.

Hanes smiled. Knowing 'Too Kind' was exactly was I was aiming for.

Pius was too kind. It was known by the number of creatures he kept with him from rescue missions. That water demon who takes care of Peter. And a number of other creatures kept in safe houses.

But Pius was also a family man. He wouldn't be able to give it his all. And Catra needed him, she deserved her happily ever after.

Besides, he played his role better as the King's advisor and strategist, his strategies able enough to hit two birds with one stone.

But at the same time, the Vampire Kingdom could use a Kind King.

"Anyway, I should leave now...are you sure, you're okay? No saltines or anything?"

I shook my head. "How do you know about this stuff anyway? Saltines, Ginger ale."

He smiled. "I take care of Catra sometimes. Those are the things that offer comfort in a time like this....It...reminds me of how I used to take care of you."

I looked away, smiling. "I'm not pregnant. " I insisted. "And Pius isn't the only kind one. "

He chuckled. "I'm just more successful than Pius at hiding it."

I smiled as he left the room. My father...s asshole Cousin. I don't know why but his face kept hovering around me. I'd rather it be his face then Borya's.

I shivered again. Left the bed, closed the window, and tucked myself in again.

"Cousin Vlad, I hope you're dying in some ditch."

The Demon Queen (Otherworld Series #5)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara