Chapter 10- Obligation?

Hanes Vitely paced in front of the table upon which the map of Dinhae was set on.

He was anxious. A few more hours and he would go rescue his daughter.

His dear Lulu. It had been so long since he'd seen her. She hadn't replied to the letter he'd sent with Pius on the wedding day. He'd hoped she would reply. He knew she wouldn't forgive him but he wanted some closure.

He had secretly known that Lunia was hiding in his castle when she had escaped from Nikolai. But he'd been quiet about it till Nikolai had asked permission to scout.

That Nikolai. Hanes wished he'd died during the war. He himself had fought Nikolai on the battlefield, the upstart had humiliated him with his combat skills, and Hanes, even though he was so old and experienced, found an equal footing with the young demon.

He sighed, tired suddenly. Sleep evaded him. Lunia's beautiful face kept hovering in his eyes. She'd looked so much like her mother when she was born, but then that stupid curse had taken root in her. The curse of foresight, which Lunia's mother, Lumina had possessed.

Hanes laughed as he sank into a nearby chair.

Lumina with her elven good looks and her two curses had captured Hanes interest briefly....before he got to know her better. She was a heartless bitch, had bargained with a demon to take her curse away and the demon told her to have a child and the curse would pass onto the child. She had used Hanes, letting him think that he was using her. He hadn't experience the wickedness of women yet and that was his lesson.

Lumina was an elf royal. The vampires and the elves were having trouble between each other, it was just before the race wars. She had used Hanes, letting him think that he was getting a shot at the elves, getting their dignity low, he thought he would brag about tupping one of their own to get a cheap shot but he was the one who was fooled.

Lumina gave birth to Lunia and her curse of foresight was passed on, she cared more about the marks on her face rather than the advantages she had. She then proceeded to inform Hanes about his unknown child via letter, and to add salt to the wound also proceded to abandon the child at a human village.

Hanes searched for her tirelessly. It had be done secretly...If the child was unfound, it would be a shame, he would be an inadequate King. But he carried out all the searches personally, to cover the loss of more men.

The werewolves had brought her to him, sensing that she was a vampire child.  He'd looked into her eyes and had known that it was his child, blood testing had to be done to prove to his people.

He'd named her 'Lunia' to remember her evil mother. He had promised himself that he would raise her to be the exact opposite of her mother. But little did he know that they would not have all the time in the world together.

Nikolai Shizkov took her away from him. He would never forgive that demon. He'd hoped that Lunia would have successfully killed him, however his scouts had brought him information that Nikolai still lived.

As for Lumina, when the war begun, she realised her mistake of giving away her foresight and tried to take her daughter back by claiming motherly rights in the Vampire court.

But she was just one of the royals, Hanes was King. He declared sole parenting rights on Lunia, cutting off all Lumina's ties to her. He ruled the court, his power even above a mother's right. He'd even convinced the demon, Renaz, who had given Lumina the advice to transfer her powers to testify in the Vampire court, and the werewolves that found Lunia testified too.

Lumina was taken away from the court kicking and screaming. She was sent packing back to her elven kin.

But foresight was only one of her curses. He never knew what the other curse that poor, evil Lumina had on her head. She had seemed like a good being at the beginning. She always had males crowding her even though she had those seer markings on her face, which she thought were spoiling her beauty but only made her look more endearing. However, the heart warming feeling that he got with being near her stopped after he got to know her....They had stopped abruptly though.

But then again, she was selfish and money minded and always fishing for compliments. It was like, one day he just woke up and stopped liking her.

But she had given him the feeling that Pius' grandmother had given her. A warmness of the heart. But then he saw her true form...

She went around telling people who criticised her that Hanes had used glamour to cover his true vampire form....It was all lies.
That wicked women.

Hanes crossed his fingers and lay his chin them. Little did he close his eyes that he heard footsteps heading his way, not willing to look vulnerable, Hanes stood up, holding his cane close.

Pius, his grandson, entered the tent. He had a worried expression on his face.

Hanes predicted that it was his wife Catra, who had put that expression on his face. Only Catra affected Pius that way, he was unfeeling for all intents and purposes, except for when it came to his family.

"Catra misses me. When are we going ahead with the plan?"

"A few more hours. We have to wait for the execution time, we'll cut in and save her in the last moment."

"What if we're too late?" Pius asked, frowning.

Hanes refused to even contemplate the idea of being too late and having to watch his daughter die. "Nonsense. We'll be on time. We will be there to save her. We have to."

"Why should we even save her? It's not like she's done us any good."

Hanes narrowed his eyes. "She's my daughter. You'd feel the same if it was Peter's life on the line. How many times are we going to have this argument?"

Pius' face turned cold. "So it's an obligation then. To save that deceitfu-"

"Pius." Hanes said, sharply. "What is wrong with you? Lunia is my daughter. As your aunt, you will respect her. And I don't see saving my daughter as an obligation. I raised her, for gods' sake! I saw her grow into a beautiful woman, I cherished her, I loved her! I love her! You will not speak of her thus! "

The flap of the tent parted again Hanes turned his head to shout at who dared to approach but faltered when he saw who it was.

Pius entered the tent his expression worried. "What's wrong? Why are you shouting......?" His deep blue gaze set on...The other Pius, his mouth dropping open in shock.

Hanes to looked at the other Pius, confused but already knowing who it was.

Runes appeared on the imposter's face...purple runes. They flashed and then a stunning demoness stood before him...she had his daughter's beautiful grey eyes.

Lunia Vel Miorisi, his beloved daughter, smiled sideways at him.

"So, it's not just an obligation, huh?"