Chapter 21

Luna

The next morning on my way to the office to check on Karen and ask her about last night I noticed the headline on the front page of the New York Bulletin. The headline read "Union Allied Corruption Scandal." I could not help but smile as I realized the man in the mask had somehow helped Karen more than I even realized last night. I could not help but smile the rest of my walk to the office. When I walked in the three of them where sitting at the small table in the makeshift kitchen eating something in a large container. Obviously, Karan had made it. Neither of them ever cooked, not long as I can remember.

"Come sit, have some." She said to me and I walked over and sat down with the rest of them. "So, I know it's not much..." She said as I grabbed my plate from her.

"Hmm," Matt said as his mouth was full of food.

"In the way of payment but it is, um my grandmother's recipe, and she made me promise only to serve it to my future husband." She let us know causing me to chock on my coffee as I looked to Foggy and Matt who had stopped eating their food.

Finally, after a few seconds, Matt started to chuckle.

"You know, it's, like filled with virtue or something," Karen added.

"I thought I detected a little whiff of virtue in there," Matt said as chuckled along with her.

"Not that I'm complaining but you really should be thanking the nut for the mask," Foggy told Karen.

"Yeah, he sounds fascinating," I said to Karen hoping she could give me something, anything to help me find him.

"He's not a nut. I mean, he's a little weird, maybe." Karen responded to Foggy standing up for the masked man who saved her life last night.

"Sounds hot to me," I added in.

"We're just glad your okay," Matt said quickly changing the topic from the masked man.

"Hear, hear!" Foggy cheered out as he held up his glass.

"Well if it weren't for you two I'd still be in that cell," Karen said to Foggy and Matt leaving me out of her thank you.

"I helped a little. I gave you clothes." I reminded her.

"That's true she did, but the jobs easy when your client's innocent. All you did was tell the truth." Matt said to the two of us.

"Yeah, but you listened." She responded giving us all a second to take another bite of the food she had made us.

"Oh, and don't get us wrong, we're still gonna bill you. Just as soon as we figure out, how to make bills." Foggy said to her jokingly.

"And I thought I was hopeless," I said as I laughed at him.

"I did notice that you could use some help around her. And I owe you. Maybe I could clean the place up a bit." She said to them.

"Is this place messy?" Matt asked as he laughed and pretended to look around.

"It's worse than my place," I told him.

"Our firm is very prestigious and discerning, Miss Page. Do you have any prior experience handling electronic cords up in the ceiling tiles?" Foggy asked her.

"Well no but I'll work for free." She told us.

"You're hired," I yelled out before the other two could deny her.

"You don't work here." Matt reminded me.

"She said free." I reminded him.

"You just got hired," Foggy told her causing all of us to laugh out then continue eating enjoying each other's presence.

I found myself actually caring about Karen's wellbeing. I liked her she seemed like one of the good ones. One of the ones I could trust.