Chapter 45

Matt

I walked into the police station and was not surprised to find Brett standing behind the front desk. He seemed to always be working.

"Look who it is... Murdock." He said when he saw me walking towards him.

"Sargent how's your mom?" I asked him.

"Smells like stogies, otherwise..." He answered.

"Yeah I keep telling Foggy not to get her cigars, but..." I started to tell him but he cut me off.

"She'd sneak'em one way or the other. Crafty old bird." He finished.

"Right. She's why I'm here. A friend of hers has a case were looking into." I told him.

"You're going after Tully?" He asked as if he was surprised someone would actually be willing to help.

"Yeah, you know him?" I asked him.

"Yeah, guys a real scumbag. But he stays just this side of ordinance, so there's nothing we can do." He told me.

"Can you pull some copies of the complaints? Maybe get me a minute for two with officers who took them?" I asked him.

"You really think you and Foggy can help?" He asked and I could tell he really hoped we could.

"Yeah, we can try," I answered.

"Let's see what I can find." He answered.

"Thank you," I said then walked over to sit down in the waiting room.

"Have you talked to Luna lately?" He asked a few seconds later and I could tell by the tone of his voice something was wrong.

"Not today why?" I asked him wondering what he knew.

"I think you should talk to her." He answered.

"Why? What happened?" I asked again.

"I think you should just talk to her." He answered before walking away to get the reports I asked for.

I could not help but wonder what he was talking about. It was obvious he was worried about something. I'm guessing their date had not gone well. But what could he want me to talk to her about? We don't have secrets, not anymore.

As I waited I could hear people talking in one of the interrogation rooms. I tuned out everything else and just listen to there voices.

"Now I just want you to tell me again how did it start?" One of the men said.

"We have you at the scene with a dead Chinese, Piotr. And a backpack full of drugs" The second voice said.

"Uh-oh, that'll buy you a one-way ticket to 30 years in asshole land." The first man said. "It'll give you some time to touch upon those tattoos. You boys all get shirtless and poke each other." He continued.

"Do you know who I work for?" Piotr asked them.

"Cuple of dipshit brothers nobody gives a wonk about." The second guy said. "Bye-bye, dick head. Enjoy your next 30."

"Wait. What if I gave you another name?" Piotr asked them once it finally hit him how much trouble he was in.

"He'd have to be big." The first cop said to him. "He'd have to be King Fucking Kong." He finished.

"He is. His name...is Wilson Fisk." Piotr told them.

"Well, what do you know about this guy?" The first cop asked him.