Chapter 28

Matt

The next morning in court it was announced that the juror had in fact been excused for personal reasons.

"Does the Defence care to make a closing argument?" The Judge asked us.

"Yes, your honor. Thank you." I responded.

I stood up from where I was seated and walked over to the jury. I paused there for a second listening to there heartbeats. Listening to one who was nervous or scared like the lady the day before. Everyone was normal.

"Mr. Murdock." The Judge said to me after a few seconds of my silence.

"Sorry, your Honor. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, forgive me if I seem distracted. I've been preoccupied of late with, uh, questions of morality...of right and wrong, good and evil. Sometimes it's a blur...and often it's like pornography. You just know when you see it." I said causing them to laugh out at me.

"A man is dead. I don't mean to make light of that, but these questions...these questions...are vital ones...because they tie us to each other...to humanity. Not everyone feels this way. Not everyone sees the sharp line, only the blur. A man's death. Um... a man is dead. And my client John Healy... took his life. This is not in dispute. It is a matter of record...in fact...and fact has no moral judgment. They merely state what is. Not what we think of them not what we feel. They just are. What was in my veins, heart when he took Mr. Prohaszka's life, whether he is a good man or something else entirely, is irrelevant. These questions...of good and evil, as important as they are, have no place in a court of law. Only the facts matter. My client claims he acted in self-defense. Mr. Prohaszka's associates have refused to make a statement regarding the incident. The only other witness, a frightened young woman, has stated that my client was pleasant and friendly and that she only saw the struggle with Mr. Prohaszka after it had started. Those are the facts. Based on these...and these alone, the prosecution has failed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that my client was not acting solely in self-defense. And those, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...are the facts." I said to them as I turned and pointed to my client.

"My client based purely on the sanctity of the law which we've all sworn an oath to uphold...must be acquitted of these charges. Now, beyond that, beyond these walls, ...he may wall face a judgment of his own making. But here...in this courtroom...the judgment is yours...and yours alone." I said finishing before taking my seat back in my chair behind the defense table.

The jury went back and deliberated and when they finally came back they were unable to reach a verdict the trial was extended. After the trial had ended and everything wrapped up I quickly changed and made my way outside. I waited for him on the top of a nearby rooftop. After some time he finally came out and started loading stuff into his trunk. I jumped from the roof trying to land a knee to the back of his head but he quickly moved out of the way. My knee ended up crashing through the back window of his car. I quickly recuperated and tried swinging at him but he easily blocked me. He grabbed my arm and threw me to the ground. He kicked me once and tried again but I was able to block him this time as I pushed his leg away from me.