Chapter 31

Matt

"And they had furniture that didn't smell like a pack of cigarettes. And elevators... god, I miss the elevators." Foggy said as he went on to talk about the law type of law office he wished we worked for.   

"We're doing good here, Foggy." I reminded him.

"Are we?" He asked me.

"Yeah, we're making a difference." I started to tell him but at that moment my phone started to ring.

I pulled it out of my jacket pocket and answered the phone.

"You got a new phone? We can afford that?" He asked as he looked at the new phone I had because my old one was broken in a fight.

"Hey, one sec Foggy, I'll see you tomorrow," I told him as I tried to walk out knowing Claire was the only person who had this number.

"It's a girl, isn't it? You got a new phone just for your girls. My life sucks." He said as I walked away from him.

I walked out into the hall, "get home safe" I said to him before closing the door behind me.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked her but all I got in response was the sound of Claire's voice screaming out for help.

"Claire! Claire, can you hear me? Claire!" I yelled into the phone hoping she could hear me, hoping she would answer me.

She screamed out again, I quickly threw my things aside and took off running. I turned down the alley and jumped up on top of a dumpster then off the small wall and over a fence onto a low hanging rooftop. I jumped up from there and grabbed onto the fire escape ladder and quickly climbed up it and onto the fire escape landing.

Once I was on the fire escape I ran up the stairs and climbed into a window and ran down the hall pushing my way into the apartment whose door was wide open. I tried to catch my breath, but I was to panic as I looked around realizing that she was gone.

"Claire," I said even though I knew she was not here.

I picked up the phone of the ground and tossed it at the wall, then did the same to a nearby chair.

Once I was able to calm down I ran to the window and opened it. Sticking my head out a little and just listening to all the noises of the city. Hoping that I might hear her. I could hear sirens, overlapping talking. Whistles, and laughter. Man speaking in Russian. I stopped frozen in place and focused on just that. The sound of their voices. I tuned out everything else, that's when I heard it. Claire screaming as she tried to fight and get away. A few seconds later her screams were cut off by the sound of her being locked in a trunk of a car.

I ran outside and ran into someone almost knocking both of us over. I was about to take off again when I realized it was Luna.

"Move," I said to her when she continued to stand in my way.

"What's wrong? Where's Claire?" She asked as her heart rate picked up and she started to become nervous.

"They took her?" I said as I pushed past her and started off in the direction I heard her screams.

Luna quickly ran after me easily keeping up.

"Who?" She asked.

"The Russians," I answered as I ran into a busy street and instantly started to become disoriented by all the noise.

"Fuck, why does it have to be the Russians." I could hear Luna mumbling to herself.

"Which way?" Luna yelled at me as we both stood in the middle of traffic.

I could not answer as I tried to listen but could not make anything out of all the city's noise.

"Matt which way?" She yelled again.

"I don't know," I answered truthfully.

"We need to find her." She said as she started to fiddle with her bracelet.

"I know," I told her as I tried to ignore the sound off all the cars that were honking at us.

�|�