Chapter 87

Karen

I was walking out of Jossies after meeting with Foggy. Matt and Luna where no where to be found. I pulled out my phone and dialed Matt. He did not answer so I left him a voice mail.

"Hey Matt, its Karen. I just saw Foggy at Jossies. He's um...you two please get your shit together. I thought we where supposed to be a tram, not whatever this is okay? Call me back...seriously. Bye." I told him before hanging up the phone to call Ben.

"Yeah." He said when he picked up the phone.

"Hi...Its Karen." I told him.

"I know. They got this thing, called ID, might have hear of it." He told me.

"You still sound pissed." I said knowing he had not forgiven me but was hopping he did anyway.

"Just tired." He responded.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Will be. What's up?" He asked.

"Matt and Foggy are...I don't know what. They had some kind of fight you know. And Luna is MIA." I told him.

"Ah, its usually around the time you know the story's getting interesting." He told me.

"How do you do this...day after day?" I asked him.

"One foot in front of the other, just like everybody else." He told me.

"Yeah but you're not like everybody else. You know, that right?" I asked him.

"We all do what we can. Sometimes its enough." He answered.

"Thank you, Ben." I told him.

"I didn't say I was writing the story." HE told me.

"I know. I know I just, thank you for...for being there for...for caring." I told him.

"You, too." He answered.

"Talk tomorrow?" I told him.

"Yeah, talk tomorrow." He responded.

"Okay." I said then hung up the phone.

I walked up the front steps of my apartment, I dug around in my purse for my keys that I could not find. Before I could find my keys, someone came up and grabbed me from behind covering my mouth so I could not yell. I woke up some time later with my face lying on a small table. My head was killing me, and I had to squint my eyes against the light. My body ached like I had a massive hangover. I heard a sigh from behind me.

"I thought maybe you weren't coming out of it. That would have been a shame." The familiar voice said to me.

I tried to get up, but my legs gave out from under me. Instead of landing on the ground someone caught me holding me up. I looked over to see it was Wesley.

"You might wana take a moment. In the meantime, I thought we could chat." He told me as I struggle to stand, I felt incredibly drunk and dizzy.

He sat me back into the chair and he sat across from me.

"You can't do this." I told him.

"And yet, here we are." He answered as he looked around the empty room.

I was so scared that I could not hold in my tears any longer. I started to cry,

"You know, funny story, after the Union Allied article, I...inquired as to whether you needed further attention. The feeling was you'd already done whatever damage you could. So, it wasn't necessary. You were a...nobody...a very small cog in the machine. So, an offer was made through a third part. A legal agreement, one you signed...in exchange for a reasonable...in exchange for a reasonable amount of money. Well reasonable amount of money to you. You were supposed to go away, Miss Page. Fade back into...weather people like you fade. But you made a choice...and that choice brought you here...on this night, at this particular moment in time. Perhaps that's the way it was always gonna be. Perhaps were destined to follow a path none of us can see, only...vaguely sense, as it takes our hand, guiding us towards the inevitable." He told me.