Chapter 68

Matts POV

The next morning my alarm went off waking me up like it did every morning at seven in the morning. I rolled over with a grown as I slammed into the body next to me. For a second I was confused as to why someone was in my bed, but then I remembered Luna had crashed here. I thought about waking her up, but she was sleeping so peacefully that I decided to just let her stay as long as she needed.

I got up and showered and got dressed for work. I was expecting Luna to wake up when I turned on the shower, but when I was ready, she was still asleep. I guess last night took more out of her then I had realized. I left her a quick note telling her I left for the office before heading out to catch a cab to work.

"Did you fall again?" Karen asked the second I walked into the office.

"Don't worry about it," I told her. "Don't tell me what?" I asked her about her and Foggy's conversation that I heard as I was walking in.

"You heard that?" She asked surprised that I was able to hear what they were talking about.

"Guys like a bat. Not blinde like, I mean, you know, with the hearing." Foggy continuesly mumbled.

"Bats aren't blind Foggy," I told him.

"There not?" Foggy asked shocked.

"It's a myth," I answered.

"So, where good?" Foggy asked.

"Karen?" I asked ignoring Foggy.

"Yeah." She replied.

"What don't the two of you want me to know?" I asked her.

"Where investigating Union Allied." She answered quickly.

"Remind me to keep you off the witness stand," Foggy said to her.

"You cant be doing that." I reminded her of the contract and money she had taken from them already.

"Why not?" She asked.

"For starters, you signed legal papers and took money to leave it alone." I reminded her.

"No, I signed papers saying that I would go public and I won't." She answered.

"We have someone lined up for that part," Foggy told me as if he would not be putting that person in danger.

"What part?" I asked.

"Breaking the story. Look whoever is behind Union Allied or whatever they call themselves now, the one trying to strong-arm people like Elena. So that they can sweep their homes away from them." Karen continued on as if she was telling me something I did not already know.

"And what do you thinks gonna happen when these "whoever" find out what it is you're up to?" I asked her.

"We already took care of it," Foggy answered vaguely.

"Took care of what?" I asked him becoming more and more annoyed by the second.

"The, uh, guys who busted up Elena's apartment. They uhm came after me when I was leaving her place last night." Karen told me, and I could not help the sinking feeling that I felt in my stomach.

"Are you okay?" I asked her as I took a step closer to her.

"Yes. Foggy was following me." She answered.

"Why where you following her?" I asked him.

"She was acting funny." He answered.

"No, there was no funny." She replied to him.

"There was a little funny." He joked with her.

"This is what I'm talking about. There are things out there you cant be doing this. You're going to get hurt." I snapped at the two of them.

"No, I have already been hurt by those bastards. You know, I don't care what I signed or how much money they paid me to forget. I don't. And I'm not just going to stick my head in the sand, and let this happen to somebody else because I'm scared. Which I am...a lot." She yelled back at me.

"If you could see her face you would know she means it," Foggy told her, but I did not have to see her face to know she was serious.

"Yeah, I kind of got that. Right, who else is involved? Whos helping you break whatever it is you think you're gonna find out?" I asked them.

"Ben Urich, from the Bulletin," Karen answered.

"The one who wrote the Union Allied piece?" I asked her.

"Karens been working with him. He seems like a good guy." Foggy answered.

"Yeah everyone does until they aren't," I told him.

"No, I trust Ben, as much as I do you and Foggy. I know what I am doing. I'm not some kid." Karen snapped at me for attacking Bens character.

"Then don't act like one. Both of you. I know you're just trying to do the right thing here. But we have to be smart about this." I snapped back at her.

"We?" Foggy asked way more comfy then Karen or I.

"First rule, no more sneaking around asking to get hurt. We do this it's gonna be on our turf. The legal system." I told them.

"That's not as fun as being a hero," Karen replied.

"I don't want anyone to be a hero, Karen. I want you to be safe. And I want to protect this firm and everything we're trying to build here. We know the law. We'll use it to our advantage. Agreed?" I asked them.

"Do we have a choice?" Foggy asked.

"Not so much," I told him.

"Yeah, okay, so whats the second rule?" Karen asked me.

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go along. But one of you has to tell Luna." I told the two of them I did not want to be on the receiving end of her rage at being left out.