Chapter 77

Luna

I was sitting on my uncomfortable and lumpy futon trying to figure out what to do about Fisk when my phone wrung.

I picked it up to see that it was Matt.

"What's up?" I asked as I toyed with one of my knives.

"I need you to meet me down at the city morgue." He responded.

A howl new wave of panic rushed through my body.

"Why? What happened? Is it Foggy? Oh god is it Karen?" I asked in a panic worried that something happened to one of my friends.

"No there fine. Its Elena." He told me.

I could not hold back the sigh of relief that escaped my lips before the wait of his words actually hit me.

"Yeah, I'm be right down." I told then hung up the phone.

I pushed the knife into my boot and ran down to the morgue.

When I got their Matt, Foggy and Karen where waiting for me. Bret was there was well obviously the one who called Matt. He was not happy to see me but did not say anything as I approached. There were no words exchanged the four of us just walked into the morgue in silence. Bret let us in and pulled back the white sheet that covered the body for us to see. It was indeed Elena.

"Its here." Foggy told Matt.

"How did it happen?" Matt asked.

"Neighbor saw some junkie they see in the building fleeing from the seen with her purse. Probably jumped her while she was fishing for her keys." Bret told us causing Karen to cry out as she tried to muffle the cries by covering her mouth.

"Karen maybe you should wait outside." Matt said to her.

"I can go with you." I told her so she knew she did not have to be alone.

"No. I'm... how did she die?" Karen asked again because Bret never actually answered Matt.

"Multiple stab wounds. The ambulance got there quick but..." He told us causing Foggy to know start crying. "My mom said all the family she knew about passed on. I knew you were looking into the case. I thought you might be able to point us toward the next of kin." He told us.

"No, she didn't have anyone. Just us." Karen told him.

"Well see to the arrangements." Foggy told him.

"Its good of you to take that on. I'll let the M.E. know." He told us.

He gave me one more passing look before walking out of the room.

Once he was out of the room Karen launched herself into Foggy's arms so she could really cry, and I held onto Matts arm as he stared off in Elena's direction.

I looked down to his hands to see he was clutching his cane so tight his knuckles where red and veins where popping out of his hands.

"We should go get some drinks." I said after the four of us stood there crying for a while.

"Yeah I could use a drink or ten." Foggy replied.

I led Matt out of the building followed by the other two.

We quietly made our way over to Jossie's to drink away all our pain.