Chapter 27

Matt

It was late and dark outside, there was not a soal to be found as I waited outside of the courthouse. I followed out a female juror who was extremely nervous. Almost instantly she came face to face with a big man who stopped her from moving forward.

"This will all be over soon, okay?" He said to her. "Just keep it together till the verdict. Can you do that?" He asked her.

She did not respond, she just stood there staring at her shoes in fear.

"Look, you ask me, it's almost like they're doing you a favor. I mean, you don't want something like that floating around. Go home. Get some rest. You got a big day tomorrow." He said to her then moved out of the way so she could walk past him which she quickly did. She practically ran away from him.

Once she was gone he pulled out a cigarette and lit it. I jumped out from where I was hiding and grabbed hold of one of his hands causing him to drop his cigarette and with my other free hand, I punched him in the face. I hit him once, twice, then a third time before I hit him with an uppercut under his chin. I then threw my entire body weight at him as I tackled him, my shoulder colliding with his stomach sending him flying back into the wall.

"Stay down!" I yelled at him but of course, he did not listen.

He just struggled to stand up, so I hit him again.

"I said stay down!" I yelled again but of course, he tried to get up again.

"You son of a bitch!" He yelled at me.

I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and then hit him again sending him flying back into the wall.

"What do you have on her?" I asked him as I twisted his arm behind his back and slammed his face into the brick wall.

"A tape!" He yelled out. "There's a tape, okay?" He yelled as he struggled to break free from my grip.

"Whats on it?" I asked him.

"A mistake she made when she was nineteen and pretty. Something she doesn't want her kids to know about." He told me.

"You get rid of it!" I snapped at him.

"I cant." He responded, so I twisted his arm a little more causing him to yell out in pain.

"It's not a discussion." I let him know.

"It won't make a difference anyway." He tried pleading with me.

"Who do you work for?" I asked him.

"I don't know." He answered.

"You don't know? Bullshit!" Luna's voice rang out in through the silence.

I quickly turned to her standing only a few feet from me. She had some sort of large hoody on that seemed to be covering her face. As I looked at her I could not make out any of her features. She was just a human-shaped ball of flames.

"I'm starting to think you're stalking me," I told her.

"Thought you might need some help." She answered as the guy tried getting away while she distracted me.

Before I would react Luna grabbed the back of his head and slammed his face into the wall. He screamed out in pain as his nose broke as it came in contact with the wall.

"Who do you work for?" She yelled at him.

"I don't know." He answered again as he spits out some blood that had pooled in his mouth.

I wish I could say I was surprised by her outburst but she was always the type of person to always react with violence then ask questions later.

"I want a name." I whispered in his ear, yelling was obviously not working on him.

"There isn't one!" He yelled out. "That isn't how this works! Look, I walk by a building, if lights on in the window, I got a job." He told us.

I quickly grabbed hold of him and spun him around so he was looking at me.

"Somewhere there's another light, in another building. I don't do this. I'm somebody else's job." He said in fear of what will happen to him if he does not finish his job.

"You tell her to get herself excused from the jury. Personal reasons whatever it takes. After that, she never sees you again." I told him.

"They'll kill me." He answered and I believed him.

"Then you better leave my city...tonight," I said before hitting him in the face again.

He falls over in pain grabbing his broken face as I ran off down the alley, Luna followed closely behind.