How Far I've Come Ch. 13

Ash's POV

His POV is where we currently are in the Sun and Moon anime, episode 54 (when I started writing this, episode 55 didn't have subs yet :/), after they come out of the Ultra Hole with Lillie's mom (if you haven't seen that yet, Sorry). Now the rest of the chapter will be Serena's POV! Also, this is a now one year later time skip :/ Let's hurry up with this!!

Serena's POV

"Braixen, use Flamethrower!" I shouted. Braixen spun her stick around rapidly, the bow tied to it fluttering in the air. Braixen held the stick out and unleashed a horde of flames towards Umbreon. The pokemon dodged, bringing Serena's meter down to 25%. 

Oh no... 25%... I might lose the Grand Festival...

One year. I've been in Hoenn for a whole year now, and I'm finally in the Grand Festival. I'd be much happier if I didn't have 25% and not to mention the fact that I'm freezing right now. Of all the Grand Festivals, they decide to hold the one I'm participating in during the winter. Snow fell above our heads as we competed in this years's Grand Festival.

Everyone else had already become a Top Coordinator. May, Dawn, Drew... everyone except me. But even so, they decided to stay with me and travel with me. I glanced over at the stands. May, Drew, and Dawn were staring at the Battle Stage in front of them. They shouted encouraging words towards me. "Don't give up!" "You can do this!" "You got this!" 

Their words gave me some warmth, but not enough. I looked at the time. 1 minute. Not good. I looked down at Braixen. She looked at me from the corner of her eye, waiting for instructions.

"Fire Blast!" I called absentmindedly. Braixen shot out a cross-like flame. The flame engulfed Umbreon and took down their meter by half, leaving them with 25% as well. One more. Whoever  gets the last hit wins the Ribbon Cup and becomes a Top Coordinator. My legs shook with anxiety. Me and my opponent couldn't afford to lose this final shot. 

I opened my mouth to shout my final command but nothing came out. I felt eyes trained on me, waiting intensely. I felt pressured, as though the world depended on me. 

'Is this how Ash felt when he and Alain had to save Chespi from that stony Zygarde?' A random thought crawled into my mind.

Ash...

He's felt like this before... Hasn't he? I felt a little bit of warmth run through me at the thought of him. Ever since my first contest, Ash still hadn't called me. Why? Did... Did he hate me? The remaining warmth I had drained from my body. What did I do?

I felt time stop. My knees beneath me felt like they were ready to crumble and fall to the floor. I felt as though all of my strength had just been drained from my body. I felt like crying.

'Never give up till it's over!' A voice wandered through my head. 

I looked up at the crowd. Near the exit, I saw the ghostly figure of a little, raven haired boy. He wore an orange and red tank top with blue shorts. He looked at me and gave me a thumbs up. I blinked and he vanished, as though he were never there.

Ash. No. He wouldn't hate me. Ash has always supported me through and through. He has always helped me. He has always cared for me. He would tell me not to give up too. 

Warmth surged through my body, giving me strength. I stood straight and confident.

"Let's finish this with Fire Blast!" My voice rang loud and clear, no sign of doubt.

As if feeling my sudden burst of energy, Braixen nodded and a suddenly started glowing blue. Braixen's figure turned taller and more elegant. The blue around Braixen grew and then exploded into a puff of blue sparkles, and it was no longer a Braixen, but a Delphox.