Date Start! Haunted House Ch. 25

Ash's POV

We were walking through the shopping district in awkward silence. We didn't speak at all. I couldn't even think of anything to say. I was sure that my face was red.

"U-Uhm, Ash?" I heard Serena say quietly from beside me.

"Y-Yes?" I asked, slightly startled.

"Uh, where are we going?" Serena asked shyly.

"Oh, right! There's actually an amusement park in town, so I thought that we could go there!" I said, suddenly excited.

Serena smiled lightly. "That sounds like fun."

It became silent again, but the atmosphere wasn't as awkward as it was comfortable. We made some small talk in the walk, but when we made it to the amusement park, the mood changed.

"Wow! There's so much people here!" Serena observed.

"Yeah, hope you don't mind," I said with a sheepish grin.

Serena shook her head. "Not at all."

"Alright, then, let's get going!" I exclaimed, immediately taking hold of her hand and rushing through the crowd after handing our tickets to a ticket collector.

I thought I heard a small yip, so I turned around and saw Serena blushing. I looked down out our hands and grew bright red as well.

"A-Ah," I started, lifting up our hands and pointing at it, "To make sure that we don't lose each other."

Serena nodded and I turned back around, letting out a sigh. We walked around the park, hand-in-hand, when Serena suddenly gasped.

"A haunted house!" She exclaimed with stars in her eyes.

"Aren't you afraid of ghosts?" I asked her, remembering her suggestions back at Espurr's mansion when we traveled together in Kalos.

"Hmm? No, not anymore really. In fact, I quite like them now!" Serena answered with a smile. "I made a friend in Hoenn who was a ghost type. Although he looked and acted mean and scary at first, once I got to know him, he was kind and caring."

"A pokemon?" I asked. "Why didn't you catch it?"

"You see, he was actually someone else's pokemon, but he ran away from them with a tantrum and ended up getting lost and poisoned by poison gas in the forest," Serena explained.

"Oh..." I muttered. "So," I said, changing the subject. I glanced at the haunted house. "Do you want to go in?"

Serena smiled. "Yes!"

I gulped but smiled. "Alright then!"

As we made our way towards the haunted house, people who were coming out of it were saying things about how scary and frightening it was. I swallowed hard but kept walking.

When we went inside, there were cobwebs and dimly lit candles and torches everywhere. The place was dusty and dirty, and there were claw marks on the walls and curtains. The whole thing was designed like an old, worn down mansion. It creaked in the wind, which made the whole thing scarier.

I shivered. The place already gave me the creeps and nothing even happened yet.

"Wow, they went all out," Serena said excitedly.

"Y-Yeah," I said quietly.

Before, I was leading, but now I strayed behind Serena, who dragged me along by the hand.

Serena stopped to look at something when I saw a candle's flame flicker side to side rapidly, even though there was no wind, much less a breeze. I looked around and saw all the other candle lights doing the same. A chill ran down my spine.