Chpt. 10: love it

It had been months since the incident at the Avenger's Tower with Luke and Xavier. Sitting on the bench in the changing room, Percy bit his lower lip, his thumb hovering over the button. Deciding not to call, he stuffed his phone away, having already changed and walked out of the room. 

Per usual, he was the last one to leave. This had been a quick thing for him to get used to. It also had to do with what happened between the night he left the Tower and to the third month in which he had cut them out of his life.

Having not spoken to his family for months, he felt enormously guilty. But, as he began to throw himself further and further into dancing, the more progress he showed. Locking the door behind him, he left the gym, stepping out into the cool breeze. 

It was now May eighteenth. He hadn't been in contact with anyone for six months. 

Demons clawed to surface in his mind, and he was beginning to lose the fight. But, each time that he began to feel threatened by his own mind, he drank. And the more he drank, the more they disappeared. 

Hailing a taxi, he climbed in the back, giving the directions to his apartment, paying him when he got out. 

At a lonely time of 10:47 p.m., he jammed his key into the apartment he had moved into, opening the door and walking in. 

The lights dimmed low, providing little light for the medium sized apartment. With a simple sofa and coffee table, he tossed his keys onto the kitchen counter, setting his bag by the door as he kicked off his shoes. Flopping on the sofa, he brought his hands to his eyes, sighing heavily. 

Groaning, he stood up, grabbing his phone, which had 86% battery left. He set his phone up, turning on the light in the living room, then began to record the most recent dance moves he had choreographed. 

When he got done, it was nearing midnight. Hitting the off button, he turned off his phone and the light, heading to the small bathroom. Taking a quick shower, he washed his hair and his body before going to bed. 

Yup. Leaving was the best choice he ever made. 

~~

The next morning was like all the others: waking up at 4:10 a.m, getting dressed, brushing his teeth, and getting his books ready.

Walking to the campus, he went to his first class, which started at 5:30. 

And so, when the bell rang, his day passed as every other did too. 

~~

"Percy, can I talk to you after class?" his dance instructor asked when he walked into the class. All the others that were already there (he was the last), turned to look at him. He had yet to speak a word in front of them. 

He simply nodded, going to the changing room and changed. Returning to the room, he got into dance position. 

Dancing his heart away, he tuned out the voices and the music itself. He focused on the rhythm of the song, the beats of the music. And his feet took off from there. 

"Mister Jackson!" 

The call cut through his focus, making him land somewhat suddenly, but he managed not to stumble. 

"Come here." 

Percy hesitantly made his way over, fearing that she was going to kick him out. He had nothing left. Nothing more than this. This was what was keeping him alive. 

"I know of your accident a few months back, in December, right?" 

He nodded. 

"You've made a miraculous recovery since," she noted. 

He blinked. 

"I'd like you to be in the holiday dance for the local schools. You'd star as the lead role, of course. But the setback I'm facing is that...the main role has speaking parts." 

Percy nodded, biting his lower lip. 

"I understand that this may not be something that you can do," she said carefully, understandingly. 

Wetting his lips, though cracked as they were, he managed to find his voice--one he hadn't used in six months. 

"How public would it be?" he managed, his voice cracking slightly. 

"Not very public, surely. There's a chance a recorder could get in or so, but typically the schools don't allow them."

Percy nodded, releasing a sigh. 

"Who else is being cast?" 

"Abel, Claude, Cedric, and you for the guys," she said, giving him a moment to look over at the others. Now, Percy generally didn't converse with anyone, but he knew from observing how these people acted. 

They could've acted worse. 

"And as for girls, Kiara, Lainey, Shelby, Alexia and Avery." 

Percy glanced over, to see them. 

"And then there's one exchange, her name's Liz." 

Percy nodded. 

"She should be arriving soon-" 

No sooner as she said that, the door flung open and a familiar red haired woman Percy's age wandered in. 

"And here she is now!" Ms. Ruby exclaimed, grinning. "Liz, glad you could join us."

"Glad to be here," she returned with a beaming smile.

"Everyone, this is Liz, she's new to town."

Everyone muttered their hellos. Percy remained silent.

"Any requests for the dance?" Ms. Ruby questioned, smiling at her students.

Percy looked her in the eye and said, "I dance alone or I don't dance at all."

Ms. Ruby blinked, along with the others. Surely nothing had been that bad of an experience, but really...how many people has he danced with?

The ravenette slipped out of the back door, eyes flicking to the rooftop. Climbing the ladder, he hopped easily over the metal railing, sitting down on the roof.

Dancing alone had been something he'd dreaded, months ago. But now, it was his safe haven. He was free to do what he pleaded. No strings attached. No feelings side his own involved.

He loved it. 

But he wasn't the best when it came to love.