Chpt. 18: Love is Complicated

That afternoon, Percy felt a tad bit better. He really didn't leave his bed all that much, except to use the toilet, going to the bathroom or throwing up. Around three, Percy crawled out of bed. He hadn't thrown up for hours at that point. He took a quick shower, pulling on some of Derek's clothes.

Slipping out of the bathroom, he went outside and sat on the platform for emergency exits. His hands wrapped around the bar as he rested his chin on it. His legs dangled loosely from the edge of it. 

He sat out there for a while, only moving when a door shut inside. He turned, pulling his legs free from the grip of the bars. He stood, hopping inside, then going through the window. 

Carlisle stood there, shocked by the fact that Percy climbed in through the window.

"What?"

"How'd you...You're feeling better?"

"Um, yeah."

"Good! Dad and Papa will be back soon."

"Then how did you get here?"

"I walked."

Percy frowned. "Why don't I start picking you up, yeah?"

"Okay!"

Percy hopped over to the couch, Carlisle sitting down beside him.

"I miss this," Carlisle whispered, cuddling up to him, head on his lap.

"I miss it too," Percy smiled, combing through his hair. Carlisle yanked a blanket off the floor, throwing it over himself. They laid together, snuggling up.

They both dozed off, the door opening about an hour later. Percy blinked himself awake groggily.

Andrew and Josh walked in. Percy began to doze off immediately. The two adults walked in quietly. Andrew smiled, cooing quietly at them.

Derek soon came in afterwards. Derek grinned at the two of them, taking off his jacket at the door along with his shoes. He quietly made his way to the couch where he cautiously pushed Percy up so he could slide behind him, hugging him and Carlisle. He soon fell asleep too.

Andrew smiled, going over to the chair where Josh sat, sitting on his lap.

"They're so cute," Andrew smiled, kissing Josh's cheek.

"Mhmm."

"Derek is the best friend possible for him," Andrew remarked.

"A bit odd though."

"What is?"

"His dedication. Have you noticed that? I've seen him more at Percy's side than at AJ's, and they're dating."

Andrew frowned, wrapping his arms around Josh. "Are normal best friends as close as they are?"

"I don't know, but something tells me that its more than that type of a relationship to Derek."

"But he's got a boyfriend..."

"That we knew of. That was a while ago. Things change over time."

"And if he views Percy as more, why hasn't he done anything?"

"I'm not sure," Josh admitted.

A bit went by before Derek spoke up. "Because he views me as a friend. That's it, that's all it will ever be. So why try any differently? Why get my hopes up?"

"You...love him?" Andrew asked quietly.

"Always have. He was too oblivious to notice, though. But it doesn't mean anything. He's off in his own world. And who would I be screw up our friendship by making it more difficult? I'm not gonna mess with his love life, that's no one's business but his own. And it'd be really selfish of me," Derek murmured, a hand to his forehead. He sat up slowly, not wanting to wake the others. "I'll understand if you want me gone."