Chpt. 11: Old Life Returns

Focusing primarily on the dance routine, he flung himself into his work, yet again. As it had turned out, spending all of his excess time in his dance routines proved to be a major help. 

Today was just a practice including the elite group of dancers. Dancing precisely, his feet fell to every exact step, as if they were born to do this. Which, they were. 

"Okay, dance partners are: Abel and Kiara, Claude and Lainey, Cedric and Shelby, Alexia and Avery. And the solo's are Percy and Liz." 

Percy nodded to himself, agreeing silently with the arrangement. 

"Here are your dances, memorize them as best as you can, and if you have any questions, please ask." 

And they all set out to work on their dances, individual or partnered. 

About half an hour later, Percy heard arguing as he danced. It was beginning to be hard to listen to. His eyes flicked over to Avery and Alexia, who were having a hard time figuring out who would be the 'masculine' dancer, due to the dance roles. 

Percy stopped dancing, gliding over and cut in. 

"Don't focus on the fact that you're both girls," he supplied, having a feeling that could be what was wrong. "Who's been dancing longer?" 

Alexia had been. 

"Okay, so you're probably more experienced," he turned to Avery, "no offense." 

"None taken." 

"Alexia, you've seen guys dance before, I presume." 

"Yeah..." 

"Kay, now focus on how they do it."

"I can't, there's no one dancing-" 

Percy rolled his eyes, turning to Avery. "C'mon." 

And so, he danced with her, trying not to fall into the routine that Derek and him had performed a long time ago. He spun her, caught her and steadied her when she nearly fell. 

"Just...Try dancing with her now," Percy advised, watching them begin to dance. It was awkward and looked a bit uncomfortable for both. "Stop, stop." He frowned, stepping in. "Try it with me." 

And Alexia had done it decently enough. 

"You have the dances down," he noted, thinking. "It seems like it's just the fact that you're both girls." 

"Can you blame me? It's awkward and weird," Alexia exclaimed. 

"At first, it is. But only at first." 

"What if I can't do it?" 

"No 'what if's'," he said. "I have an idea...Ms. Ruby, can I make a quick phone call?" 

Raising an eyebrow, she nodded. He grinned, smiling and thanking her before running with his phone out of the room. 

Dialing Derek's number, he picked up. 

"Hello?"

"Derek!" 

"Percy?!" 

"Yeah it's me,  I was wondering if you could do me a favor-"

"Where are you?" 

"A dance studio in Massachusetts, near my college." 

"I'm actually in the state right now...I'll be over soon, text me the directions, yeah?" 

So Percy texted him the directions, grinning as he stuffed his phone away. 

"Help should be arriving soon. For now, Alexia, don't dance, just talk, make sure both of you are comfortable. Not necessarily as dance partners, but as people."