ONE

[ REUNION ]

HALO CADASCA HAD HEARD RUMORS, BUT SHE REFUSED TO BELIEVE THEY WERE TRUE

everywhere she went, whispers of the feared and infamous kylo ren stirred. tales of genocide, murder, and deceit. she knew it was not beyond him anymore to commit such heinous crimes, but a small part of her still wanted to believe that the man she once knew was still alive. as time went on, that dream began to fade.

halo could remember a time when his name brought a smile to her lips. when his presence had a calming effect on her wild soul. how long ago it seemed. how different the times were. in those days, when she was just a girl, she never feared for her life. now, it was the only thing she could think about. survival had not become important to her until he had changed. and now, his presence brought only pain.

she had not felt it in nearly a decade. and she did not want to. but now, it seemed, she no longer had a choice.

halo had been in hiding for years, in a small village on jakku. of all the planets in the galaxy, that one seemed to be the least suspected. there was, to be honest, nothing there. it was sandy and desolate, even the tiny village she called home seemed so secluded and impersonal. at the suggestion of her old jedi master she had lived and cared for the village elder there, a withered man named lor san tekka. he was the last remnant in her life of a time long passed, but he was kind, and truly, the only family she had left.

halo should have anticipated that he would come. they held the most coveted piece of information in the galaxy. in the early years after the fall of luke skywalker, she had wanted to leave. but as time went on and bitterness left her heart, she realized that it was her duty to protect the map back to him. many men in her life had betrayed her. the only one who hadn't was her old jedi master. and she would protect whatever he told her to, no questions asked.

that is why when she felt the presence of ben solo again, she did not flee.

she stood stoically at the top of a hill, tall enough to overlook the village, but not so tall that she could not be concealed if needed. she had been instructed to wait here with the information, for a pilot was coming to retrieve it. a pilot of the resistance, the general of which she could not bring herself to think of. it seemed like a lot of the ghosts of her past were coming back to haunt her.

the night was falling fast, and with it came a coolness to the air that calmed her aching heart. the wind blew gently through her fiery hair. the world in that moment seemed to be at peace. but she knew it was ephemeral. something terrible was about to happen.

she caught sight of a resistance pilot making his way up the hill. he was handsome, there was no denying it, and she was not surprised he had chosen to resign his life to the resistance. he was strong. strong of mind and strong of heart. it brought a small smile to the corner of her lips.