TWENTY - FIVE

[ CAN'T RELIVE THE PAST ]

LUKE FOLLOWED HALO VERY RELUCTANTLY THE NEXT DAY

he kept a steady distance behind her, for fear of her wound overtaking her, but stayed behind just far enough to remind her how much he did not want to go through with her plan. luke had always had an edge to his kindness, an attitude that she was sure had been even stronger when he was just a boy. it was funny to her that even one of the greatest jedi could have such a poignant personality.

but she would not be shaken. she was sure that, if they were to prevail in this great contest of humanity, they would all need to work together. and they could not do it without luke, just as he could not do it without them.

halo knew he knew that. and she understood why he was afraid. truthfully, she was too.

her fear was only tempered by what had happened the night before. after she had seen him, it was like their minds were tethered together by some inexplicable string. she could feel him. feel his life force, his every move. she did not know how, or why, but it was like a bridge had been constructed tightly between their minds, as if he was only a step away, even though he was light years beyond ahch-to. she could feel his frustration. his raw, unabashed anger. his pain. his regret.

and she knew he could feel her too.

and it terrified her.

this closeness to him scared her more than she had ever been scared. it was like she could see him. tiny flashes of his face, of his mind, his feelings.

it made the hatred, and the worry, stir inside of her all at once.

she could hardly bear it.

she pressed her hand firmly to her side, trying to ignore the flair of pain that sparked every time she took a step. the island was not easy to navigate, especially with a lightsaber wound as treacherous as her own, but she felt that it made her stronger. every step she took brought her closer to the end of the weakness and pain. she was sure that she would heal soon. time was something they did not have.

"i don't want to do this, halo," luke grumbled from behind her. "there are things you don't understand... things it took me to long to learn. mistakes i can't afford to repeat."

halo continued walking, her fiery hair tumbling vibrantly against the cool grey sky.

"you won't repeat them," halo murmured, trying to bite down the frustration that smoldered inside of her. "rey is different."