FOUR

[ THE STORM TROOPER ]

HALO AWOKE WITH A START

her breaths heaved in her chest, and her wide eyes were met with the darkness of a newborn dawn. she felt tears burning her lashes, streaking down her face. she had dreamt of him often. nearly every night. but as time went on, they became less and less painful, until they were mere echoes of the suffering she had once endured.

but this one had hurt. like all the years she spent erasing him from her memory meant nothing. as if one look through a mask could bring all the walls she had fought so hard to build crashing down.

moving quietly so as not to awaken rey or a shut down BB-8, she crept from the tiny dwelling inside of the AT-AT, and sat down on the cool morning sand. it tickled her legs, and blew gently against her cheeks. in the early hours of the day, jakku looked beautiful. the dark sky cast lovely shadows on the smooth dunes, and the stars twinkled blissfully in their uninterrupted sleep. the sight brought peace to her frantic heart. it calmed her restless soul.

halo looked down at the saber that hung dutifully on her hip. she could remember the day she made it. ben was there. he had helped her find the kyber crystal for its core. it was as much a part of him as it was of her.

she realized as she gazed at its silvery encasement, that one day, she would have to come to terms with ben solo. that she would have to let him go. but today would not be that day. she was trying, but it was so hard. and she was left to bear it alone.

her swollen eyes watched as the sun rose slowly. she thought of lor san tekka. of how kylo ren and murdered him without a second thought. that man had been a part of their lives since they were young. he was one of the last believers. she could not fathom his death, or the bringer of it.

then she thought of the young pilot who had taken the map from her. she hoped that he had not suffered the same fate.

so many horrible things had happened so quickly that her aching mind could not comprehend it.

her light irises gazed unwaveringly at the burning sunrise. how beautiful it was. or perhaps, it was not beautiful at all, and all the world around it had grown so ugly, that suddenly, even the worst of things gained a tinge of beauty.

halo did not realize how distracted she had become until she heard the sound of someone sitting beside her. she had not heard rey awaken, nor had she heard her walk outside. but halo was not startled. her mind had been conditioned into a state of near calm all the time. there were very few things that could break it.