TWENTY - TWO

[ NOT SO LONELY ANYMORE ]

HALO ROSE GRATEFULLY WITH THE LIGHT

she still had difficulty standing on her own. every movement sent ripples of pain through her body, even to her fingertips. every motion was a reminder of what had happened all those weeks ago on the starkiller base. but she was healing. and for her, that was enough.

when she finally brought herself from the tiny dwelling luke had afforded her, the gentle sun grazed her skin. her pupils tensed under its heavy rays, and her skin prickled contently with the heat. in the distance, she could hear the ocean throwing itself against the slick rocks below. there were no sounds to disturb the mellifluous symphony all around her. there was only peace.

a peace whose fingers she could not grasp.

her pale eyes caught sight of her old jedi master, hiking along the top of a hill hundreds of feet from where she stood. she reached out to him, but still, was met with nothing. she should have anticipated that he would not have welcomed back the force, not after what happened.

a deep disappointment began to blossom inside of her. she knew how much ben solo's betrayal had hurt her master, but she did not think it would be so bad after so many years. luke was glad to see her again, that much she knew, but at the same time, she could feel that he wanted her to leave. he wanted to be left alone, to die with the gravity of what he had done. halo wouldn't allow it. she loved him too much.

her mind turned to their reunion as her eyes watched the sea. luke had the strangest look on his face when he looked at her, as though he had seen a ghost. apprehension, regret, fear, even, flickered across his face in less than a moment. but then he saw her long fingers pressed against her steadily bleeding stomach, and a memory came back to him. of a young halo, lifeless in his arms. the only padawan left alive, the only one ben solo had not killed.

luke couldn't turn her away. and since rey and her had steadily become a package deal, he tolerated the scavenger. he had sassily thrown off any comments rey made toward him, and hastily evaded any of halo's eager questions. he did only that which he could do; take care of halo, and go about his way.

rey had asked once or twice if they should leave, if this was even worth it. if luke could ever be retrieved. halo didn't know the answer, but she urged her friend to stay nonetheless. she knew that their time on ahch-to would be well spent, and she had faith in her master. it was pure and unwavering. he would come around.

halo caught sight of her young friend sitting on the edge of a cliff, legs swinging haphazardly. there was a kind of childlike innocence in every one of rey's actions. a purity that could go unbroken. in this girl, halo sensed no conflict at all. she knew herself so well, better than she could yet understand.