FORTY

[ FAMILY ]

A GREAT VOID SWIRLED AROUND THEM

inside of halo's chest, the force screamed. pain like nothing she had felt before encapsulated every surface of her body, fiery, oozing with the slowness of molten lava into every crevice of her soul. a slight ringing in her ears was the only thing telling her she was still alive. beyond that, everything else fell away. her heart felt like ash, her mind crumbled, her limbs and her skin drifted away as if they were made of paper.

it was like a hole was being torn into her by callous, unsteady fingers. like the force inside of her wanted to leave, like it didn't belong there anymore.

leia.

halo's eyes snapped into focus once more.

ash rained from the skies above, floating around her like snow. poe was on the floor several feet away, his head in his hands, fingers gripping his hair so tightly that his knuckles were bathed in a soft white hue. cries of anguish echoed from him, lungs desperately trying to express the severity of the pain he felt in that moment.

finn and rose stood together, clutching each other tightly. their eyes were wide, glued to the skies above. shock, fear, pain, mourning. they all swirled around inside of the pair in a chaotic mixture that hit halo without a moment's notice.

halo felt warm arms around her, accompanied by the distant cry of a mourning wookie. it was all so hazy. as if in a dream. chewbacca's arms held her so tightly that she felt she might break. but she couldn't protest. she couldn't even speak.

beside her, rey felt it too. the young jedi looked at halo, salty tears springing freely from her eyes. she was afraid. this was the first time rey had felt this kind of pull, the loss of life, unplanned for and too soon. leia, who was so beautiful, such a vibrant entity in the force, was gone. and now, it mourned.

halo tried desperately to gain control of herself, but there was nothing left. the light inside of her that she had so desperately depended on was so dim that she could hardly see it anymore.

in her mind, millions of visions played at once. a woman with long, brown hair, teaching her how to braid her own. holding her as she cried, devastated by her failure in one of her lessons. running her fingers through her wild, red locks. letting her come and see the new republic, watching over her, even when she wasn't there.

"no," halo whispered.

now, the hot tears in her eyes fell from their prison.