FIFTEEN

[ TORN APART ]

HALO LAID IN HER CELL IN SILENCE

she was so tired. her vibrant eyes were cast lifelessly on the ceiling above, nothing inside of them. nothing at all. she felt so empty and drained that she could not even recognize herself. all the world around her seemed to fade. all her thoughts and feelings along with it. there was nothing left. nothing at all.

they had taken rey by the time she was returned. and she was not grateful for the solitude. she needed someone. anyone. to fill the gaping void that was expanding like a black hole inside of her.

she couldn't even count the hours that passed. soon, the day faded to night, though it all looked the same in space, she supposed. rey was still gone. halo's heart was still broken.

soon, she drifted into sleep. it was not peaceful, but it was deep. deep and eternal. dark.

her dreams carried her many places. in them, she could see all those that she missed to much. lor san tekka. luke. they were all there, warped, but tangible. so close to being real.

but now, these memories led her to a different place. until her sleep led her to a cliff. her cliff. their cliff.

she had dreamt of it often, but hadn't seen it in years. it was her favorite spot in her old home, when she was still training under luke. from it, you could see the entire ocean that engulfed it. the light sand on the shores, the bright sun as it set. the stars as they rose into the onyx sky.

something about this dream felt very real. she could feel the blades of grass underneath her fingertips as if she were truly there. she could smell the salt from the sea. she could taste the sun on her skin.

she felt younger in this dream. her hair was down, curly and wild as it had once been. there were no scars on her skin. none on her heart. she felt peaceful, calm, content. she wondered why this dream had come to her at such an opportune moment.

the wind blew through the vibrant strands of her hair, tickling her skin and chilling her spine. she sucked in a cool breath of air. it felt so real.

then, she turned. and he was there.

sitting beside her on the cliff as he once did. his hair dark, curls framing his face as they once had. he too looked different here, like he did when she first knew him. so young.

the vision of ben solo disrupted her peaceful sleep. she felt her heart begin to beat quickly, quicker and quicker until it became almost painful. she willed herself to wake up, to end this before it became a nightmare. this dream that was so real that it felt like it wasn't a dream at all. but then, he spoke.

"don't be afraid, i can't hurt you here."

she pressed her eyes harshly, her lashes brushing over her cheeks. it was just a dream. this was just a conversation with herself. it wasn't him. he wasn't real.