TWENTY - SIX

[ THE TRUTH ]

THE SOUND OF EXASPERATED GROANS FILLED THE COOL MORNING AIR

"keep trying," halo urged, watching with sympathetic eyes as rey attempted to put her frustrations aside. luke sat beside halo, his eyes wide and alert, as if carefully scrutinizing rey's every move. halo knew how scared he was, that the young girl would turn on them at any second and bring a burning end to the jedi race. but he had been reluctant to know rey as halo had. if he let her in, he would see just how bright she truly was, how good she was, to the very core.

"i am trying," rey pressed, her teeth grinding against each other. halo could see the curve of her jaw tensing, it gave away her emotions.

"learn to control your frustration," luke murmured, "use what you have learned from it to guide you, but never let it overtake your actions. that is a path to the dark side."

rey nodded, and closed her eyes once more. halo could feel her probing, feel her gingerly reaching for the force. for a moment, she felt luke as well, but the feeling was gone as soon as it came.

"good," halo murmured, her voice consoling and encouraging. "now, tell us what you see."

the scavenger was silent for a moment longer, her hands digging themselves gently into the earth. halo felt a rush of power surge through her, the sensation that something was happening, that the force was moving. halo sucked in a sharp breath, and almost instantly, she felt luke's presence engulf her.

"it's alright," she whispered, her hand squeezing her jedi master's arm gently.

rey's fingers spread over the soft earth beneath her, and the tiniest of smiles began to form on her lips. there was an inexplicable amount of joy rushing through her. it filled halo to the brim.

"i see the island. flowers. life. death, and decay, that feeds new life. a balance."

halo felt her lips tugging into a soft smile.

"and between it all?" luke asked, his voice breathless, as if the events had surprised him so much that he forgot his resentment.

"the force."

"and in you?"

"that same force."

halo's light eyes turned to luke's. he was looking at her the way he always had, and for a moment, she saw the weight of all the world leave him. for a moment, he looked so young, so full of hope. he looked at her as he had when she had first become a padawan, when the idea of a future generation of jedi had excited him.