Chapter 2 // Maths

Chapter 2 //  Maths 

“Honey, wake up, you have school.” I groaned as I opened my eyes. My mom stood there, waiting for me to wake up. I sat up in bed, trying to focus my vision. “Dani, I have to go to work early. There’s coffee downstairs. Go get dressed.” She kissed my forehead and walked out of my room. Since my vision is terrible, I have to wear glasses. I refuse to wear glasses at school, so I wear contacts. I got out of bed to go get changed. It’s the beginning of October so I decided to wear a light grey hoodie on top of my school uniform. I took my hair out of its bun to brush it. After brushing it, I pulled it into a high ponytail to get it out of my face. Before applying my make-up, I put my contacts in. I’m not really a fan of heavy make-up. That’s why I only apply a nude eye shadow along with black eye liner.

Once I got downstairs, I poured myself some coffee and got some bread. After eating, I went upstairs to brush my teeth. I took one last look in the mirror, before heading out the door. I don’t have my own car yet but I use my mom’s over the weekends. But since my school is only a couple of blocks away, Violet drives me there. Violet lives a couple houses down from me. Violet Barrington is my best friend. We met in 3rd grade and have been friends ever since.

Once I reach Violet’s door, I text her to tell her I’m outside. Her house is so huge. It’s the biggest house on the street. After a minute or so, she finally opens her door. 

“Hey Dani.” She said.

“Hey Vi.” She clicked a button on the car key, causing her car’s headlights to flicker on. Her car was a white Honda Accord Plug-In. I always admired her car. My mom could never afford that. Mom has a Nissan Sedan. Violet always had nicer things than me. I guess it’s because both her parents live with her. Unlike mine. I opened the passenger door to get in. After clicking my seatbelt in, Violet started to back out of the driveway.

~*~

“I don’t understand how you have your license, but don’t have your own car.” Violet said.

“You know how my mom is Vi. But, at least I can drive her car on the weekends.”

Violet rolled her eyes. Once the car was parked, we both got out and made our way to school. Sadly, Violet’s locker isn’t next to mine. But she is in my homeroom. When I opened my locker, I heard people behind me, whispering. As I turned around, I saw Calum Hood and Michael Clifford, the two most popular guys in my year. As they walked down the hall, I saw a familiar tall, blond boy. Oh no. I tried to make myself blend in with the crowd. I tried to make myself unknown. The boys walked past me, Luke turned his head and saw me.

So much for trying to ‘blend in’..

He gave me a wink then continued to walk down the hallway. I can’t believe Luke is hanging out with the two most popular guys in school!

“Dani! Did you see that hot blonde babe walk with Calum and Michael?” Violet said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Yeah, I don’t really think he’s a ‘babe’, though. He seems like a real jerk.” I scoffed.

“You’re kidding me, right? Rumor has it what he’s in your maths class. Plus he’s in our gym class!” Violet squealed.

I rolled my eyes as I closed my locker door. “Vi, stop fan-girling. Come on.”