Chapter 25 // Lunch with Luke

Yesterday, Luke couldn't make it to our lunch 'date' since Johanna wanted to go somewhere with Luke. So Luke took a rain check and rescheduled it for today.

I texted Luke when I reached my locker at lunch.

To: Hemmings

Hey where are you?

From: Hemmings

Come to the parking lot

I shut my locker close and started walking to the parking lot of the school. I opened the doors and saw Luke in his car. I got into the passenger seat and buckled my seatbelt. "Hey." Luke said.

"Hi." I replied. "So where are we going?"

"It's a surprise."

"Oh god." I groaned.

"What?" Luke asked.

"I did not picture The Luke Hemmings to be so.."

"So??"

"Corny." I said.

"Corny?"

"Yeah." I looked at him as he drove out of the parking lot.

"So what you're saying is that you don't like corny things? You just like serious guys? That do nothing to spice up the relationship?" Luke questioned.

"No, I'm not saying that it's just that- Wait."

"What?" Luke asked.

"You said relationship."

"What? No I didn't."

"Yes you did."

"Anyway, you were saying?" Luke trailed off.

"Don't change the subject!"

"Gray, I didn't mean relationship. It just slipped out. What was I supposed to say?! Friendship?"

"Oh so we're friends?" I scoffed.

"Fine study buddies." Luke muttered. His face was serious when I looked over. His jaw was clenched and while he was clutching the steering wheel his knuckles were turning white.

"I didn't mean it to come out like that." I muttered when we hit a red light. Luke let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his hair. "It's fine." He replied. He turned the corner and drove into a parking lot of a small restaurant. "What is this place?" I asked, getting out of the car. "Nobody really knows about this place.. But they make really good food. It's Brazilian. " Luke opened the door for me as I walked inside. The scent of cooked chicken hit me when I walked in. Luke started to walk towards to the cashier. "Hi, I'll have a cheeseburger with fries and a soda please." Luke told the guy.

"And for the lady?" He asked with an accent, looking towards me. Immediately he started checking me out, Luke noticed and put his arm around me and pulled me close to him. The guy glared at us, mostly at Luke though. "What's a Coxinha?" I asked the guy.

"Coxinha." He corrected me. "It's sort of like a chicken ball."

"That sounds delicious." I looked up at Luke. "I'll take two."

After arguing with Luke that I would pay for my own food, he paid the guy. We were now sitting at the small table located at the far corner of the restaurant. "So how's school going for you?" I asked Luke.

"The history test that you helped me study for, really bumped up my grade. Now I just need the other subjects."

"When's your next test?"