Chapter 22 // Take out

"I'm home!" We both heard my mom call out. I picked up the remote control to pause the movie Luke and I were watching. I stood up from the couch and walked to my mom. "Hi mom." I gave her a kiss on the cheek. I followed her to the kitchen where Luke was. "Hi Mrs. Gray."

"Luke! Oh my god, what a surprise! I haven't seen you since new years! How are you?" My mom exclaimed, causing Luke to chuckle a bit. "I'm good. How are you?"

"I'm great, thanks for asking. Do you want to stay for dinner?" My mom asked. Luke looked at me for an answer. I shrugged and mouthed 'if you want' to him.

"Sure, I would love to. I missed your cooking, Mrs. Gray."

"Oh, I'm sorry to disappoint you but I got Chinese takeout tonight. I'm too tired to cook." I bit my bottom lip to contain my laughter. "Chinese is great, Mrs. Gray." Luke smiled.

"Where's Sammy, mom?" I asked.

"He's probably putting his soccer things in the garage." My mom answered as she set the table.
"You wanna go surprise him?" I asked Luke. He nodded.

I told Luke to go wait in the backyard as I went to go get Sammy in the garage.

"Hey Sam!" He turned around to see me.

"Hey Dani, what's up?" His face was emotionless.

"Nothing really, how was your game?"

"Terrible. We lost 7-1." He sat on one of the beach chairs as I walked towards him.

"It's alright Sam. You'll get them next time." I sat next to him.

"You don't get it do you?"

"Get what?"

"There is no 'next time'!" He used air quotations when he said next time.

"What do you mean?"

"My team doesn't get to go to the finals!" He yelled, standing up.

"Sam, calm down." I tried to get his hand but he smacked my hand away instead.

"Don't tell me to calm down! Now, I can't go to the finals!"

"You can try next year buddy."

"My coach is also quitting, Dani! He said our team made him 'retire'."

"Sam, you could still join other teams."

"No! I can't!" I flinched when he yelled.

"And why the hell not?"

"Because!" He wiped a stray tear. "That was dad's team!" He then broke down crying. I stood up and hugged him as he sobbed into my chest. "I miss him." He said in between sobs. "I know I miss him too." He continued to sob while I rubbed his back. Once he calmed down, I said, "I have a surprise for you." He looked up at me. "Do you want it?" He nodded. I took his hand and lead him to the door to the backyard. "Close your eyes." He did what I told him to do. I lead him to the deck of the backyard where Luke was standing. "Ready?" He mumbled a 'yes'. "Open your eyes." He opened his eyes and saw Luke. His frown turned into a smile as he ran to Luke and hugged him. "Luke! I missed you!"

"I missed you too Sammy! I'm sorry I haven't been here a lot. Dani doesn't invite me anymore." Sammy looked towards me.
"Hey! You stopped talking to me and got a girlfriend." I blurted out. Luke's smile faded slowly. I regret saying that. "You got a girlfriend?!" Sammy yelled, causing Luke to flinch. "Yes I did." He answered.

"What's her name?"

"Johanna."
"Is she pretty?"
"She's very pretty."

"Did you guys kiss yet?"