Chapter 10 // Absent

Chapter 10 //  Absent

After my little incident with Luke, he hasn’t tried to contact me what so ever. He’s made eye contact with me in class but that’s about it. It was now Monday and it’s been over a week since we last talked. I walked to my locker to get my morning books. After I was done, I walked into homeroom to see Michael and Calum sitting alone, with no Luke. Where was he? I shook it off and continued with the day.

~

It was now Friday and Luke still hasn’t come to school. I’m starting to get worried about him. He hasn’t been in school for a week, what could have happened to him? After Violet dropped me off at home after yearbook, I went to Luke’s house to see if he’s okay. I rang the doorbell and waited awkwardly for someone to open the door. The door creaked open to reveal Melanie. “Dani, hi! What are you doing here?”

“I came to see Luke.” I smiled.

Her smiled faded as she looked down at her feet. “He’s not here.”

“What happened to him?”

“Nothing happened to him sweetie. He’s at the hospital right now. He may be happy to have someone with him. I’ll take you.” She said. I nodded, following her to her car.

We drove in silence to the hospital. Once we arrived, I texted my mom to tell her I was with Melanie and Luke. I followed Melanie throughout the hospital. When she found the room she wanted, she opened the door, revealing Luke sitting next to the bed. A man occupied the bed. He wasn’t much older, probably a few years older than Luke and me. “What is she doing here?”

“She came to the house and I thought you needed someone to talk to.”

“Mom-“

“Luke, please.” Melanie begged. Luke sighed in defeat. “I’m going to work. I’ll be home soon. Luke take Dani home when you’re done here.” Melanie closed the door slowly, leaving Luke and I alone. I awkwardly stood there by the door, wishing Melanie never left.

“You could sit down, you know.” Luke said. I sat down on the seat next Luke, by the bed. The only thing you could hear was the beeping of the heart monitor. “I’m guessing you want to know why I wasn’t at school?” I nodded my head slowly.

“Well, this is my brother Ben. He’s one of my brothers. He was coming to visit us, but he sort of got into an accident. A drunk driver sped through a stop sign and crashed into Ben. He’s unconscious right now, he also has some broken bones. They don’t know if he’ll wake up.” Luke breath hitched when he finished. I could tell he was trying to hold back the tears. I leaned over my seat to hug him. It wasn’t a pity hug, it was a comfort hug. I know where he was. When Sammy was in the hospital, my whole world stopped. It took him a minute to hug me back. It also took a minute for him to start crying into my shoulder. “I’m scared Dani. What if he doesn’t wake up. What if he dies? I’m scared Dani.”

“Sh, sh. I know. Calm down Luke, everything is going to be okay.”

“You don’t know that.”

“You just got to be positive, Luke. Ben would want you to be positive for him.” I whispered. He only answered with sobs and cries into my shoulder. We pulled away from the hug. “I’m truly sorry, Dani.” Luke whispered.

“Luke don’t talk about it.” I mumbled. He sighed quietly. “I really don’t want to go home. I don’t want to leave him. Can you stay with me?” Luke whispered. I nodded my head. “Of course.”