Chapter 3 // Babysitters

"Yes, Luke will be there to help you." My mom said. I felt my jaw drop all the way down to the tile floor in my kitchen.  "Mom, I really can't. Luke and I-"

"Are great friends! The way you two clicked when you first met each other was amazing!" My mom exclaimed. "You know, Melanie and I think you two are so cute together."

"Mom!!" I cringed at what my mom just said.

"Alright, alright. So you'll do it?"

I let out a deep breath, "Sure I'll do it."  My mom squealed. Tomorrow night will be unpredictable.

~*~

"Oh, Katherine! Dani! Come in come in!" Melanie exclaimed.

"Melanie, you remember my son Sammy?" My mom said, once we were inside.

"Of course!" Melanie ruffled Sammy's hair, causing him to look up at Melanie from his video game. He glared at her then looked back down at his game. Sammy doesn't talk much. He's one of those kids that keep things to themselves.

"Mel, when are we leaving?" I heard a woman's voice say. I looked towards the source. I saw a blonde headed woman, with blue eyes. Her height was taller than Melanie, but not by that much. "Ava, this is Katherine, Daniela, and Sammy Gray. This is my sister, Ava."

"Nice to meet you all. Well we should be going now. Daniela, the twins are in the living room with Luke." Ava said. Luke's house was almost like mine, but somewhat bigger. I followed Ava to the living room. I saw Luke sitting on the couch, watching TV while the 4-year-old twins were playing with Lego blocks. "Chase, Leah, I'm leaving now. Make sure you behave while Daniela and Luke are looking after you." She gave them a kiss on their heads, then left.

"Where is mommy going?" Chase asked.

"She's going out to dinner." Luke answered.

"But. But. I want her here." Leah started to sniffle. I saw her eyes start to get watery, so did Chase's.

"Uh. Luke.. We have a problem." I whispered.

"I think you can handle it babysitter." Luke retorted.

"We're both babysitters tonight. They're starting to cry." I hit his arm so he can see. He turned his head right before Chase and Leah started to cry. Their cries were so loud and were more like screams. Luke stood up and scooped up Leah. I did the same only with Chase. We both sat on the couch, trying to calm them down. "Your mommy will be here soon. I promise." Luke whispered to Leah. Leah sniffled. Chase was lying in my arms, quietly sobbing into my shirt. While Leah's head was on Luke's shoulder. "Can we play hide and seek?" Chase whispered. His puffy blue eyes were looking up at me. I nodded. "Of course we can. Who do you want to be it?"

Chase smiled then said, "I'll be it." We all agreed on some rules. Such as the person 'it' had to count to 10. No hiding in Melanie's room and we have to hide inside the house.

After discussing every rule, Chase went to count in the corner of the living room. I didn't know Luke's house as well as he did, so I hid in the kitchen. Leah was the first to be found, then I was, then Luke. This round, I decided to hide upstairs. I heard Leah getting close to 10, so I went in the blue room. I hide in the closet. I moved back until my back hit something. "Ow."

"Luke?"

"What?"

"Ready or not here I come!!!" We heard Leah scream.

"I didn't know it had come to this."

"What?"
"Hiding in the same closet as Daniela Gray." He whispered. I hit his arm. "Ow."