Chapter 15 // Dinner

“Aw! What was it like?!” Trisha squealed.

“It was an accident..” I said.

“An accident?!” Kathy asked.

“It’s complicated.” I muttered.

“That’s what I said about James.” Trisha nudged Kathy.

“How is it complicated?” Kathy asked, ignoring Trisha.

~
“So yeah..” I told them everything that had happened with Luke.

“Wow.” They both said in unison. Before they could ask any questions, my phone started to ring. My mom was calling me. “Hello?”

“Dani, you girls can come home now. Dinner will start in a few.”

“Alright mom, see you later.” I hung up and told the girls that we could go home.

~

When we got home, the food was still wasn’t ready. So we just watched a movie instead. Half way during the movie, the doorbell rang. “Dani go get the door please!” My mom called out. I walked towards the door, obeying my mom’s orders.

“Hi Dani!” Melanie smiled. I saw Luke and Ben behind her on their phones.

“Hi Melanie! What are you doing here?” I asked, trying not to be impolite.

“Your mom invited us for the Christmas dinner!” Melanie said. I nodded and let them inside. Melanie went straight to the kitchen as Ben and Luke followed me to the living room.

“Trisha, Kathy this is Ben and Luke. Ben and Luke these are my cousins Kathy and Trisha.”  Trisha and Kathy looked up and saw Luke. Their jaws dropped. Their eyes flickered to me and back to him. It’s like they were asking if that’s the Luke I was talking about. I nodded my head, causing them to smirk. They all exchanged hi and hellos. Kathy and Trisha were sitting on one of the couches as I was sitting on the other. “You guys can sit down.” I said to Ben and Luke. Ben sat down next to Trisha, as Luke sat down next to me, not bothering to make eye contact. “So Ben, what year are you in?” Kathy asked trying to make this less awkward.

“I’m in college.”

“Really? We are too!” Trisha exclaimed. As they continued to converse, I felt a buzz in my pocket. I pulled out my phone to see I got a text.

You still don’t have my number saved do you Gray?

To: Hemmings

Now I do.

From: Hemmings

This is awkward..

To: Hemmings

The dinner or us?

From: Hemmings

Both.

To: Hemmings

Hell yeah it is.

“Will you two get off your phones? Dinner’s ready.” Trisha said. We followed them to the dining room. My mom was seated at the top of the table, with Uncle Chris to her left side and Aunt Ellie to her right side. Sammy was next to Aunt Ellie and I was next to Sammy. Trisha and Kathy were next to Uncle Chris. Melanie sat at the other side of the table with Ben next to Kathy and of course Luke next to me.