Four

WE stood in front of the costumes Samil collected for us through the years. Mismatched hangers and hooks, presenting layers of fabric on the copper pipes.

Samil and Invidia, stood back by the shoes as I reached forward into the fabric. My fingers lacing around the different coloured costumes. Many I've never gotten to try.

Suddenly the opening number ladies pranced in. Their faces red and smiles wide from what I assumed was rehearsal. Out of the eight, one red headed lady fell. Tripping over her holed heels, her hands catching her fall.

Samil scoffed in disgust as he stepped away from the fallen dancer. I winched at his reaction, and bent forward to assist her.

"Rina." Samil snapped.

Immediately I stood her to her feet, dusted her off and provided a reassuring smile. She didn't smile in return.

Samil grasped the woman's chin, leaned into her face and inspected the dancer. Red hair to her shoulders, methodically waved to match the others, dress tight and sparkled, knees scratched from her fall.

She must have not been more than 29 years old. At least five years older than I and six years younger than Samil.

"Are you hurt?" The ring leader asked. Minimal empathy was noted in his voice.

Rina shook her head reluctantly. "I'm ok sir."

A small smile stretched Samil's lips. He leaned in to place his lip on hers, just before thrusting her head away and striking her cheek.

"Get your act together for tonight. Then, you're on backstage make up from now on. Now, get out."

The dancers left, and I hadn't noticed my hands cover my mouth until Invidia snapped. "Calm down idiot. Now hurry and change."

She chucked a red dress my way. I nodded and proceeded to tuck behind a rack of accessories.

"Out front song bird." Samil whispered.

Invidia laughed as I shuffled uncontrollably behind the rack.

"We don't have all day Nightingale!" She grumbled.

Slowly I stepped out, and lay the red dress over myself. Samil waved his hand at me, gesturing to hurry along. I did as told.

My ragged brown shirt and trousers came off, leaving me in nothing but the red dress to hold against me. Invidia rolled her eyes as Samil looked on with amusement.

"She's too shy to be the featured act anymore." She snarled.

Samil places his hand up. "That's what's so intriguing."

I ignored their conversation, trying my best to slip into the red costume. It's tight fabric gripping my skin, and the sequence torso scratched my arms. The flowing skirt lay around my legs, letting cold air into its tattered holes. I stood up for display.

"Her head lowered, and arms behind her back," Samil whispered to Invidia. "It's intoxicating, so alluring. You can't get enough. The men want her and the women want to be her. It's like magic."

I winched as he touched me. Invidia huffed impatiently. "Sure, Sam whatever you say."

He snapped his head towards her. "Believe me, the way everyone desires her is the way we survive here. Haven't you noticed the amount of gifts we receive at the parties? Let alone the inflation of ticket sales."

"I do..."

"Then, unless you want to starve out there, I suggest you shut up, and focus on your elephant riding."

She rolled her eyes. "Is she ready yet? I'd like to be back in time for our show."

"Yes," He nodded as he made his way out the door.

"Wait..." I whispered. My head falling to my bare feet. "I'm not done. I need shoes."

Samil was long gone when Invidia turned to me. "You take what he gives you..."

~*~

The road to the centre of this town was shorter than most. My feet were thankful.

A whistle came from a group of men to the left of us. Their helmets unclasped and guns to their side. Guards.

I waved as rehearsed.
Invidia did the same.

In the bustle of the crowd we spotted a disengaged tank. Samil smiled, propped himself up on the highest point and gestured for Invidia and I to follow.

I leaned myself on the side skirt and positioned my body for display. One arm against the tank, the other gently on my hip.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Samil announced. "I am Sir Samil, and these are my lovely ladies. The beautiful Invidia, the only lady around who has he privilege to present you with elephants! Yes that's right folks, the wild beautiful grey creatures only seen in photos! Elephants. We have them. Imagine the sight of these creatures. Imagine their size, the wonders. And satisfy your imagination with the real thing!"

The crowd began to gather around us. Jaws dropped in aweh as Samil described our elephants. And their eyes widened as he revealed the existence of our cubs.

"Who's she?" A man shouted, his boney finger pointed at me.

Samil smiled his ring leader grin. "She my gentleman, is The Nightingale!"

I bowed my head.

"Our featured act, our finale before the party. This treasure was found in the depths of rubble; lost and afraid," The people in the crowd stared at me in pity. "Until we found her, until I found her. She sang to me in glee. And her magic is mesmerizing. Her song lifts spirits and I promise you, she will not disappoint!"

"Sing!" A woman yelled at me.

Laughter echoed through the mass.

Samil nudged at my shoulder with his foot. I cleared my throat. Preparing to do as told.

I had overheard Mirna sing this song to us in the performers trailer the first night with The White Top.
Everyone around her sang in harmony, in hums and sorrow. I didn't understand why.
The words didn't mean anything to me at the time.

My, my, my.
Won't you sit with me tonight.
My, my, my.
As the sun dims it's shine.

The sky is turning grey.
The world is sleeping now.
There's nothing left,
But for us to lay down.

My, my, my.
Won't you sit with me tonight.
My, my, my.
As we breathe one last time.

After singing the song so many times, I think it finally clicked.
The majority of the performers and crew had been around for the war.

The crowd clapped in ignorance. Some men stepped closer to the tank.

"We invite you to our show tonight, down the main road. And into the white tent!" Samil cheered.

People replied with applause as I watched some of the men lick their lips.