Twenty

THE sun twinkled into the room from the gaps of the wooden barriers of the window. One ray shone into my eye as the morning arrived.

I sleepily groaned - suddenly aware that I had slept. Beside me Marius was fast asleep, his bare back facing up and his face to me.  A grin rose from my lips. For a few seconds I watched as he took each breath, the muscles of his back rising and falling in sync with his lungs. His eyes were gently shut. His face in complete relaxation.

I would have stayed in that bed beside him forever.

But we had to go.

"Hey," I reached over touching his arm. "We need to go..."

His eyes flickered open at me. The corner of his lips smiled. "Oh, so it wasn't a dream." He mumbled. 

I shook my head. "No, but either way dream is over. We need to head back before Samil notices were gone..."

A stern look took place of the morning smile. "Okay."

We left the house the way we found it. The fire had dwindled to embers, the bed empty and the table without guests. I stared at the shrinking home as I walked away - imagining that I'd come back to it after a long day of work. Even though I would never return.

"Thank you," I whispered, pulling Marius' arm closer.

He smiled down at me with a soft nod.

When we returned to the circus grounds, a few crew members were the only ones awake. Manuel included.

He spotted us from the distance. "Friends," he cheered. "Came back all in one piece I see?" His eyes glanced down at our interlaced fingers.

For a quick second my heart jumped in fear - almost letting Marius' hand go. Yet, Manuel smiled teasingly.

"I'm glad you're back." He patted Marius' shoulder. "Go on get back in your trailer. We're off to the next town."

Inside the performers' trailer, a few members had risen and began to pack for the road. Smiles were exchanged for good mornings but not as wide as the one Dandra and Mirna gave me. Their ears waited for details.

"So," Dandra whispered as she strapped a few loose pieces of props down. "How was your night?"

"Eventful." I smiled.

They looked on with anticipation. I folded a blanket in place of an explanation.

"Oh, come on. I bet it was more eventful than my night." Dandra cried.

Mirna rolled her eyes. "Says the girl who was wth Lacey all evening!"

"Lacey?!" I threw a pillow her way.

Dandra shrugged. "You first."

A wide grin spread across my cheeks as I described the house and the "dinner". My hands drew out the layout of the home, fingers dancing to the imaginary furniture. "And then, I don't know. I felt well. I felt ..."

"Happy." Mirna filled in.

I shrugged. "Maybe. Either way, it's a night I'll never forget. I'll probably be grateful for it."

"Wait, what?" Dandra gasped.

"That's it? You're not going to try and sneak off tonight?" Mirna interjected.

"Well," I explained. "What if he only wanted one night? They usually do..."

Dandra shook her head. "I don't think this one just wanted one night..."

"They usually do."

"No, sometimes you find good people out there who want to just be around you. They don't need to touch you to be satisfied with your company." Mirna stated.

"I don't know. Samil always tells me that's what men ever want out of me. A nice night, not much conversation, and a good girl."

Dandra rolled her eyes. "Samil is stupid. You can't believe everything he says. Or anything for that matter."

I shrugged. "But he's right."

The two ladies took an exasperated sigh.

"You can't live your life trusting one man whose only intention is to control you..." Mirna whispered.

"He doesn't con-"

Dandra reached for my hand. "He does."

I stared at Mirna, wondering if it was true or not. She nodded in reply - affirming her own statement.

"It's ok," I whispered. "It's just who he is..."

Dandra sighed. "But it's not right..."

I shrugged, stepping away from them. "Thanks girls, but it's really okay...I'm okay. Marius got what he wanted and Samil won't have to worry anymore so it'll all go back to normal."

The reached for me. "That's not what we're trying to say."

But it was...wasn't it? They were trying to tell me that I need to watch out for myself. I needed to be careful about the men around me, about Samil getting upset and about Marius becoming addicted like the rest.

He's like the rest of them.

Suddenly, a pit grew in my stomach. Had I been so stupid to let Marius lead me away from Samil? The embarrassment and shame filled me. My body ached from the consequences I knew I would receive if Samil found out about last night.

In a quick moment I grew to become disgusted with my actions. Disgusted with surrendering to my desires. Samil would be disappointed. The Nightingale was tainted and he'd no longer want me around.

I would be homeless. Thrown in the streets like the garbage he found me as. Left alone.
This world had no place for me. I only sang. That's all I could do.

I would be alone. Samil would abandon me.

"I should go..." I muttered making my way to my bunk.

Dandra and Mirna watched from their spots as I clumsily removed the oxfords Marius gave me. Carefully I wrapped them in an old tattered scarf - I hadn't used since becoming The Nightingale - and tucked the shoes under the bed.

With a breath of courage, I stepped out of the trailer and made my way to the ringleader.

~*~

On the trip to the new audience, I remained in Samil's trailer. He sat across from me on his mattress, his hair slicked back, eyes glued on me and his posture stiff.

"Did you enjoy your evening?" He bluntly asked.

I swallowed the truth. "It wasn't bad."

"Manuel tells me that you had been caught up with some of the guest and tried to find me later..."

"I did."

"What did you do?"

"With?"

He snarled. "When you found me?!"

"You we're asleep, Samil...I didn't want to wake you - so I slept beside you. And woke to get ready early so you could sleep some more." I lied.

A small satisfactory smile crawled from his lips. "You're so good to me." He reached for my ankle. 

I sat there in silence as he drew circles on my legs.

"What're you singing tonight, my song bird?"

I gazed at him. His piercing, demanding eyes stared back. "What do you want me to sing?" 

He licked his lips. "Something sexy..."

"Okay."

"Then, stay with me for the whole party. The men will try to trade their things for your attention," he laughed. "Take the lot. But..."

"Don't give them what they want ..."

He pressed his cracked lips against my face. "Good girl. Good girl."