Nine

AS every night went, I found myself inside the closet - mentally preparing to face the after party. I stared at my reflection and almost reached for a cotton of alcohol. A flash of pain on my wrist reminded me not to.

I took a deep breath and plastered on a smile.

Through the curtains the music had already started. The smell of what I assumed was cheap whisky floated through the air. The local's must have had enough corn or old supplies from pre-war to be able to supply that for us.

Inside Samil was leaning against one of the bleachers. His eyes glued to the entrance I came from. He smiled and gestured me over.

"Darling, you were splendid." He shouted.

I thanked him.

"You seemed, however, different."

"Did I?"

He nodded. Scratching his chin. "You didn't seem as melancholy as usual. Does the song bring you happy thoughts?"

I shook my head. No. It reminded me of my dead mother.

"Then why did you smile?"

Marius. "I did not smile?"

He growled.

"If I did. I did not mean anything by it. I - I must've thought of you."

A smirk painted across his lips. "That perhaps is a good reason to smile then, isn't it? Very well. Be careful next time. We need to keep your appearance up. The men like to think they can save you. Do you understand what I'm saying? It's part of the show!" His arms popped up in the air.

I released a rehearsed laugh.

"Alright, song bird. Go entertain."

With some hesitation I made my way towards the crowd. A crowd was surrounding Invidia at the time, her hair out of her bun spun around to the music. She twirled the ruffles of her skirt and caused the men and a few women around her to stare in awe. She had a way with the audience. The way she'd smirk and wink, it caused certain folk to be drawn to her. She loved it.

Some part of me wished that I did too. It would have made things easier.

As I walked, a drunken woman approached me. Her lips smudged red and her hair a mess. "Nightingale! Show me how you sing?" She stammered.

"It's too loud." I replied.

Her hands found my lips. "Too bad. Maybe I can have my own show?"

I shook my head. "You'll have, um. You'll have to talk to Samil."

"What is he?! Your daddy?" She laughed out loud before swaying away.

I quickly forgot about her as I spotted Rene in the crowd. Her face lit up as she saw me. "Mon Cheri come meet my friends!"

She stepped to the side revealing a group of men. They hungrily smiled.

"This is Brutus, Nelson and Patton. They used to stand guard at Odin's house."

Brutus - the man with a large black beard snickered. "Sometimes she'd sneak us in for parties."

Rene slapped his chest. "Don't think you still have an open invitation to come by and play."

The men laughed. Brutus stepped forward, he licked his lips and reached for my hand. Reluctantly I gave it to him. He placed his lips against my fingers. "Let me get you a drink?"