Fourty - One

THE room was silent.

The young boy and tucked his guitar at his feet. My song was over.

France stood from her seat. Her eyes misty. "Perhaps it's time for everyone to rest for the remainder of the evening?"

We all nodded in agreement.

At the narrow corridor France thanked me for the old tune and said, "Is it safe to assume that you have gone through a lot?"

I nodded.

"My dear," she cupped my face. "We all have - you will push on. You'll be okay."

I watched as she smile reassuringly before turning away. The hallway was empty. The rooms filled with people tucked under blankets. Marius waited at the other end of the room. He smiled gingerly before featuring towards the empty spot on the ground.

Perhaps France was right.

~*~

"I took as many blankets as I could," Marius whispered. "Hopefully there's enough layers that you can't feel the hardwood."

I smiled, tucking my feet in. "Thank you."

We sat across from Rene and Manuel. Manuel had closed his eyes and appeared to be asleep. Rene scoffed my way, teasing the early sleeper. I chuckled.

She reached for my hand. "Machu Picchu?"

A giggle escaped me. "Machu Picchu."

The day had passed us quickly. Before long the sun had just began to tuck away. Marius was slowly drifting off as Rene and I continued to whisper.

"Do you think Samil has noticed?" Rene asked.

I shrugged. "It depends. If he's distracted enough I don't think he'd take the effort to notice."

She bit her lip. "I'm afraid Odin must have realized by now..."

"We can leave first thing tomorrow. We'll try to grab a few supplies maybe? Then we'll make it town by town."

The lines on her face deepened. "We'll need to move fast..."

I nodded. "We will. We have to."

Before long heavy eyelids had set on the two of us. I turned towards Marius burying my face into his chest. Sleep came to me more easily tonight than most.

~*~

"Nalani, come outside."

"Hurry!"

I rose from underneath the blankets. Dangled my legs of the bed and took a deep breath. The air was light, sun trickled in from between the slightly torn curtains.

"Nalani!" A joyful voice called out.

As I tucked myself into a robe and peaked through the door.

The grass had appeared greener than before. Marius stood in the middle of the small field, Rene behind him with a small basket.

"What's going on?" I asked through sleepy eyes.

Marius grasped my arm gently, leading me towards Rene. "She found carrots sprouting!"

I glanced at the slim and short orange carrots. Rene gleamed up at me. "The seeds in the bunker must have been kept in prime condition. They're small now, but they'll be wonderful soon."

"I don't doubt you." I grinned. "Where's Manuel?"

Rene hooked a thumb towards a small water source. The blue water glistened against the sun. I had forgotten the small lake was there. "Off with Dandra and the elephants. They needed a cool off."