Twenty - Nine

MARIUS held Invidia's quivering body to the ground. Blood stained her deep blue dress, the liquid poured around her waist causing the fabric to turn black. She gripped the bullet site tightly. I leaned down on my knees applying equal amounts of pressure to the hole.

"Get out.." She whimpered.

"Invidia, I'm only trying to help." I cried.

She shook her head. "No, leave. You need to leave."

Her eyes stared deeply into mine despite the blood that seeped between our fingers. "We need to get you help."

She smiled weakly. "Stupid girl, I'll be okay."

I stared at the elephant rider as Samil shouted at the audience behind us. Her sudden calm demeanor became frightening.

Invidia released her side from her grasp. "I'm sorry I was so cruel..."

I shook my head, ignoring this weird form of surrender. Marius tugged at my arm - Samil was slowly approaching. By now Mirna and Manuel had reached Invidia at the ground.

"Pathetic." Samil spat at the elephant rider.

"You did this!" I cried.

Samil knelt and shoved the barrel against my chin. I didn't quiver. "I missed my target."

I turned towards Invidia, her eyes filled with anger, her blood pooled onto the ground. She smiled at me through the corner of her mouth, hinged her self away from the performer's grasps and shoved the ringleader. He stumbled slightly against the balls of his feet, giving enough seconds for Invidia to roll off of Marius arms and yell for us to run.

I attempted to protest, but was met with a loud bullet firing hard against Invidia's back.

My mouth dropped at the sight. Samil was grinning in pleasure as Invidia struggled to lift her body off the ground. Marius tugged at my hand. "We need to go."

I turned to the deathly sight once more before disappearing into the curtains.

Behind the barriers of fabric, the performers and stage hands were frantically running. Cries were heard from all corners, and there was no shortage of panic. Dandra and Rene had stood on top of prop boxes waving us down towards the clearest exit. By the time we felt the cool air of the outer world hit our face, Odin and Samil had gathered at the main entrance. Their faces were nose to nose in anger. A spitting match of power and anger was unfolding.

Suddenly, Odin's guards signaled my sighting. A crowd of armed men and Odin approached us. Samil staggeringly followed behind. "Odin, I will get her to perform. In fact take her for the night. On the house."

"Like hell I'm going with him!" I spat.

Odin grumbled. "Samil..."

Samil paced frantically behind the fat man. "Nightingale!"

I grasped Marius' hand as I watched loaded guns lift their aim towards us.

"Beautiful creature," Odin stepped forward brushing his hand against my face. "I'll give you one more chance before I light this dirty tent up in flames. Come sing for me..."

"Back off." Marius snapped.

Odin glared at his former employee through the corner of his eyes. "Nightingale..."

"Maybe Samil can sing for you." I snarled.

Without hesitation Rene grabbed my arm and gestured for us to run from the fire line. Odin growled in anger. "Get that b*t*h!"

Guns went off.

A large amount of audience members remained in the field. Some stood still to watch as if fireworks had gone off for the first time since the war, and others continued to run in circles. Performers reached out to me but I waved them off - fearing for their safety. Soon in the hustle of the crowd my arms had found Artin. He touched my face in fear.

"Artin," I gasped. "I'm okay! I'm okay...just get the elephants and bears!"

He nodded, making eye contact with Dandra.

I turned towards my friend. She reached up to me with a sad smile. "I'll see you on the other side?"

The only thing I could muster up was a slow nod, as I watched Artin and Dandra run off.

A loud crash then echoed through the stiff air. We turned to face the White Top. Audience members and Odin's men had gathered around the perimeter - lighting the tent aflame.

Smoke filled the night causing the crowd to panic more so. Audience members and performers alike pushed against each other in hurried attempts to escape the blaze. The dry air soon began to lift the flames from the tent, and on to the surrounding areas.

From afar Odin could be seen standing tall among his guards, his dark silhouette loomed against the orange fire. I watched longer than I should have, for beside him the ringleader pointed my way and the armed men began to sprint.

Marius who similarly was caught up in the scene suddenly realized the danger. He tugged at my arm as Mirna and Rene called out for us in the distance.

"Why aren't you running?!" Manuel yelled.

I took one last glance at the tent I once called home.

It's tattered fabric's melting from the heat, the framed skeleton within turned to ash, and the audience that once fed her were engulfed in fire.