Five

WHEN Samil finished his announcement and stepped off the tank, he gestured for Invidia and I, to mingle with the crowd.

"Where did you find her?" One man asked. His large white frame shadowed over top of me. One hand reached for my face. Samil stepped in between. More territorial than protective.

"Somewhere among what used to be Seattle." He stated.

The man twisted the cane in his hand. "Interesting, I've never seen something so delicate."

"You should see her tonight, sir." Samil invited.

"Perhaps," He turned to the ring leader. "How much did you find her for?"

I scoffed. The men didn't notice.

"How much? No, you are mistaken. I didn't buy her. She came willingly."

A deep chuckle escaped the large man. "Pity. A true business man would seek deals at a time like this."

"Excuse me?" Samil stepped forward, his chest puffed.

"I mean no offence. Please, I am Odin. I invite you and your ladies to my home. I have a proposition I hope to discuss."

Samil rubbed his chin in curiosity. "Very well."

~*~

Inside the man's home, was something I hadn't seen before.

A house fully furnished, with items barely touched by the world. Around the seats were women, of different ages and looks. They wore bright colours, and powdered faces.

The women lay delicately along the furniture, some sat on the laps of men. Men dressed in mismatched military gear, rifles large, and mouths filled with the breath of the women around them.

I shuffled uncomfortably. Trying to find reassurance in Invidia She scolded at me, pushing me away in the process.

"Welcome," Odin gestured to the empty couch. "My home, some may label us unconventional."

I nodded in obvious agreement.

"I like to believe we run the same sort of business Sir Samil. You see I too find women of many backgrounds. Women who need protecting. And the men who want to offer that sense of protection are willing to pay the proper price. It's a win win situation. It works."

"And we were brought here why?" Samil suspiciously asked.

Odin leaned back into his seat. "I am intrigued by the way you run things. I've been to a few shows such as yours, before the war came. And I understand some performers have expiration dates. You see, my women do not. I propose that we partner. I can provide you with the performers you need. A few men, mostly women. And in return I receive a portion of profits, profits and a portion of the...benefits."

I shivered as Odin's gaze scanned Invidia and I. Invidia on the other hand found flattery in his hungry stare.

"1% for every individual you provide, up to 20% a year. And accommodations and food every time we station here." Samil stated.

"5% for each individual."

"2%."

The men stared silently at each other for longer than I expected.

"Deal." Odin laughed.

~*~
The two men spent their time discussing their "products", Invidia and I were summed to mingle with Oden's people. Some few men shouted at me in a trance, making effort to drag me to their seats. I ignored their calls and I sat beside a young woman who appeared more friendly than the rest.

"Hello," I greeted, adjusting my dress to sit more comfortably.

She smiled a genuine smile. Something I hadn't seen in a long time. "Hi there!"

Her dark curls surrounded her thin frame. Her lips thick and red, complemented her sharp jaw line.

"So, come for a taste of the good life?" She whispered.

"I'm sorry?"

She waved her hand jokingly. "Oh hun, don't you know where you are?"

I sat silently.

"Hey," Her voice lowered and softened. "It's okay. Name's Rene. Don't be too worried about me. I won't harm you."

I replied with a soft smile.

"You do however, should watch out for some of the men. They're animals," Her eyes fell to my bruised wrists. "But unfortunately, I'm sure you already know."

"So what do you do?" I cleared my throat, in desperate attempt to change the subject.

Rene moved her hair to one side. Her voice grew into an announcement like tone. "I provide comfort to those who need it." Her arms spread open in presentation.

I understood. "I'm sorry."

She shrugged. "It's life. There's not much left for some people like us. You take what you get to keep on living."

"How old were you?"

She gave me a sad smile. "I had just turned five. You?"

"Four I think," I shrugged. "I don't remember much. This is all I've known for the most part."

Her fingers found my chin. "You look like you're worth much more than that."

Suddenly a man entered the house, his body covered in a hefty jacket. A gas mask around his neck, face covered in dark stubble, and ash. I watched as he took heavy steps into the foyer. He removed his aviator goggles and revealed green eyes that pierced through the dust on his face.

He looked at me, and smiled.

A friendly smile. A kind of smile no other men had given me. Not one of hunger, or lust, or power. But a smile of an equal.

I smiled back.