Twenty - One

I spent the rest of the trip standing in front of Samil. At his request The Nightingale stood naked at the foot of his bed. My head remained low, my eyes making no effort to make eye contact.

Samil snarled in lust. "Beautiful..."

He stood up. His rough hands grasped my hips, thrusting them closer to him. A heavy breath escaped him and power consumed his gaze. Rough lips found my neck and devoured what they could reach. I shivered in his touch, yet remained unmoved - afraid to be hit.

Suddenly a loud bang echoed from the steel doors. "We're here." Manuel announced.

Samil growled. "Get dressed..."

~*~

This area was filled with minimal buildings, it was more hollow and bare than the rest we had seen this month. The shelters that were set had been overridden with those too unfortunate to find a position with the higher individuals. In the distance I spotted a fairly large building. It contained pillars, a fence and a few lit windows - a former mansion?

"It's almost disgusting..." Manuel whispered, standing on the steps beside me. "I guarantee there is plenty of room of the entire town plus some - yet the rich even now refuse to share."

I laughed in sad agreement.

Within moments, half of the performers found themselves in under the tent for rehearsal. Rene and I found ourselves seated in the bleachers watching Dandra and her new act. She played a young girl - someone called goldilocks - and was in the search for shelter among the cubs.

"I didn't get a chance to catch up with you about your evening..." Rene whispered in between Dandra's choreography.

I smiled at the memories, only to shake them away. "It went well."

She leaned back in shock. "That's all?"

I shrugged.

"Marius appeared more gleeful than you."

He did? "I'm not sure what you mean."

"If I'm not mistaken, I think you made him quite happy - he's been looking for you since we stopped here." She leaned in.

A part of me had an urgency to jump from my seat and search for him as well. Yet, the larger part of me, kept every fibre of my being, planted to the seat. "He's not doing a very good job - I haven't moved from here in a while."

Rene's face grew dim. "Are you okay?"

I ignored her question. "How long have you known Marius?"

"Um," She took a breath. "I think just over a year? He was with Odin before I had arrived."

"He must be similar to Odin then." I bluntly stated.

A small giggle escaped my friend. "Oh, far from it."

"What do you mean?"

"He's not like Odin. He keeps to himself for the most part - only does what is needed of him. Honestly, he's one of the most alluring man I've ever met."

Alluring, seductive, powerful - just like all of them. I sighed in disappointment.

"He doesn't mingle with the ladies, despite all their multiple attempts to lure him in."

"What?'

"I mean- don't get me wrong he'd speak to us in a professional matter, but I found that he had already adopted us as just friends, colleagues...I don't know. Maybe, even little sisters because he doesn't disappoint when it came to offering a hand. He in a way took care of us -  he's quite kind, but quiet."

I sat silently.

"Did he hurt you?"

I shook my head.

"Good," She nodded. "So what's wrong?"

Dandra's act ended, and soon Mirna was on stage. Her large dress sparkled against the light that seeped in from the sun. I stared at the her ignoring the paranoid and anxious thoughts inside me.

"What happened?"

I turned to Rene and explained the evening. I watched as she smiled, her eyes lighting up as I described the comfort I had felt. Then her smile vanished when I confessed my conclusion of his character and intent.

"I don't think that's the reason he's grown attached to you..."

"What if it is?"

She pressed her lips together. "I think your honest bet is to talk to him."

My mind filled with the possible endings to a conversation with Marius. Nothing but bad outcomes came to my mind. It filled my veins with fear, my heart began to race, skipping beats with no sight of slowing.

"Rene," A whisper came from behind us - Manuel.

Rene grinned, waved his way and turned to me. "I promised him company for lunch."

I looked back at Manuel, his face suddenly appearing shy.

"He's a sweet one isn't he?"

My lips slowly curled into a soft smile. "Yes."

"I'll see you later?" She asked, squeezing my hand.

She left before I could reply.

~*~

Just before it was my turn to rehearse, Marius had found me. I had just taken a step behind the curtains to sit on the swing when Marius entered.

"I've been looking for you." He grinned.

"I know." My gaze remained straight ahead of me.

He gingerly reached to touch my hand. I pulled away. "I thought I could take you to lunch. The performers pitched in a bit of something from their lot of the past few bins, to make a large dish to share."

"No thank you," the swing began to rise.

"Maybe we can just take a walk then?"

The curtains began to open. "No."

For a split second I gazed down at him. His hand still in the air reaching for me; his face fading away as the spot light hit. "We'll talk after your rehers-"

"No."

I looked up and sang.

I sang for the night.

I sang to the front row.

And I ended the night in The Ringleader's trailer.