Fifteen

WHEN the applause continued on for longer than most nights, the ring leader appeared through the curtains. He grasped my arm tightly and threw it back behind him - as if to motion for me to leave.

I did.

He bid the audience thanks, and invited them to place their after party offerings forward as the crew prepared the area. As he did this, I dodged through the performers and stage men, making my way towards my closet.

Staring into the scratched mirror, I did my best to strip away the glitter and costume off of my body. My eyes dodged towards the door from time to time, praying I would be finished before the ring leader came.

I wasn't quick enough.

Hands found my throat as my body found the wall. "What was that?!" The ring leader screamed.

My voice became trapped in between his fingers, I struggled to speak. My eyes watered and all I could do was shake my head in desperation.

He dropped me.

"That was not what I've taught you to do!"

Tears welled in my eyes. "I - I..."

Slowly with frustration, Samil kneeled on one leg to my level. "You're lucky they loved you. I don't want to see that again. Do you understand?"

I sat silently on the floor. In an instant I felt his rough knuckles make contact with my cheek.

"Do you understand?!"

I nodded, feeling a warm sensation drip from my face.

His hands found my jaw, squeezing my chin to lift my head up. "Good. Now get up."

I did as told and followed him out the door.

~*~

My dress had been slightly ripped from the wall I had been pinned on. My eyes still slightly swollen from tears, and my neck red from the ring leader's hands. Blood stained my cheeks.

I smiled behind the ring leader as a few crew members passed us. Their eyes filled with fear, their hands to tied to help.

Manuel stepped froward as we turned a corner. His breath heavy with shock as he scanned my face, his hands balling into fists.

"Leave her to me." Samil demanded.

"She looks hurt, sir." Manuel bluntly interjected.

"Your point? Now get back behind the bar."

I nodded to Manuel in comfort. He whipped his head away, unaccepting of his instructions.

"Listen," Samil snarled. "You better clean yourself up quick, and be at the party. I'll be damned if my guest see your ugly face like this."

My eyes shut tightly at his voice. "Yes, Samil."

"And get those stupid shoes off your feet."

Then he left.

~*~

I stood out in the dark for a short moment, trying my best to let the cool air sooth my face. The bones under my cheek began to throb in pain. My throat pulsed with tension, and my eyes blurred from the strikes.

"Hey," Manuel called behind me. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "Damn, what did he do to you?!"

I shook him off. "It's my fault. I changed the choreography."

He clicked his tongue. "You have no fault. Look I ran to tell Rene okay? Don't worry about coming back. The guys and I at the bars will keep his drinks full and maybe slip mendacium his way. He won't notice you're gone. If he asks we'll cover you. Just, please...stay away from him."

Through the darkness I gazed up at my friend. His eyes filled with sadness, his lips pursed in worry. "Okay," I whispered. "Thank you..."

He nodded, and sent me off.

Within moments Rene and Marius had found me, half stumbled to the ground.

"What did he do?!" Marius growled.

"He was upset." I whispered.

"At what?!" Rene pushed, her hand reaching out in protection.

"I changed the act. I stood on my seat... I, I ..."

My mind was racing, I was in too much confusion and pain to speak coherently. The world around me was slowly collapsing, the friends beside me grew into strangers - I didn't know what to do.

"Let's get you taken care of." Rene whispered in comfort.

I stared at her. Her hands reaching forward, her eyes filled with anger. "Okay..."

Carefully Marius and Rene wrapped their arms around me as we slowly walked to find refuge. Mirna and Artin were inside the performers' bunk by the time we entered. Mirna's face fell as it had many nights before. Artin ran off in a hurry, returning just as quickly with damp clothes.

As I sat the performers in the trailer surrounded me. Marius stayed close, his face filled with the intent of protection. "Samil became upset that she changed her act..." He explained.

"Oh," One the unique acts called out. "But I thought you did wonderfully."

I turned to her. She smiled, her face half hidden as always to hide the birth defects. When I smiled back, her back straighten and her grin grew. "Thank you..."

Marius nodded. "You looked like you enjoyed yourself too."

I shrugged. "For a little bit. But I'm never doing it again."

Rene snapped. "He has no right. We're all allowed to do what we want on that show. I don't understand what the difference is."

"Rene's right," Mirna stated. "You deserve more than he gives you."

I sat silently around my friends. As I contemplated a response, Artin sat beside me and began to wipe the blood off my face. "What he deserves is a good ass whooping." He whispered.

The whole trailer gasped at the sound of his voice.

"Artin," I mumbled turning towards him.

He looked up, just as surprised as we all were and shrugged.

For a moment I had forgotten what occurred moments before, under the tent top. For a few seconds I wasn't in pain and I felt no blood on my cheek. I squeezed Marius and Artin's hand in laughter. We all laughed.

We all laughed.