Six

SOON after, Odin and Samil entered the room.

The atmosphere changed among the women. They suddenly became more charismatic, more willing to touch and kiss the men around them.

Odin laughed in glee at his customers satisfaction. "My ladies!" The women stood from their spots, Rene did as well.

"Stand in line," He demanded. "Marius, grab the men."

The man who had entered moments before nodded. "Marius..." I whispered.

As the women stood in line, Samil scanned them as if in the process of purchasing cuts of meat. He grasped some women, asked others to turn, and soon began to pick his favourite three. Rene was one of them.

Marius later arrived, with eight men behind him. Some wore the same gear and clothing as he did, dust and ash covered their faces as well. Some were dressed in nothing but slightly over worn dress pants, others had suspenders over their bare chests.

Again Samil paced in front of the men, this time around Invidia joined him. She leaned into his ear to whisper as she pointed to certain men.

"What do they do?" Invidia asked, her hands touching Marius.

"Dirty work, fire furnace upkeep, guard duty...those on the other hand," He pointed to one man, well built and tall. His thumbs hooked under suspenders. "They provide entertainment." Odin winked.

Samil smiled. "Perfect, my friend. I owe you and your best girl free tickets if I may take three of your best men."

"You make great deals Sir Samil!"

The two laughed as Invidia gestured for Marius, and the two shirtless men beside him to join the three chosen ladies.

"Rene!" Odin yelled. "Grab some drinks and Mendacium!"

She curtsied before disappearing off into the halls. I stood from my seat to approach Invidia. "What is that?"

Invidia laughed and walked away.

~*~

Once the drinks arrived, glasses were passed around and black liquid in small glass jars were distributed.

A fully equipped guard approached me with a glass and jar. "Nightingale? Right?"

I nodded with a hospitable smile.

"Here," He handed me the glass jar, chuckling in the process. "Take some."

I stared at the black liquid inside. It was viscous and shiny. "Do I drink it?"

He touched my cheek. "You're cute. But no, take a sniff."

Reluctantly I did as told. Within moments my head felt light. My feet felt soft. The world around me sparkled. I laughed a giggle I did not intend to provide.

The man became gleeful, he grasped me and danced with my air filled body. I didn't reject the notion. I was too amused with the soft movements around me. I had never felt this out of body in my life. It was almost magical.

I waved my hands in front of my face, my fingers interlaced with the air, my bruised wrists suddenly healed.

"What is this?" I asked.

The mans face had been hurried in my neck. His hands on my lower back. I hadn't noticed. "Mendacium." He growled into the divot of my collarbone.

I laughed.

Moments after, my life became snap shots.

My hands around the mans shoulder.
My legs sprawled on the arms of a couch.
My arms above my head.
White noise.
White noise.

"Get up." Samil's voice rang loudly in my ear.

I groaned in pain. My head felt heavier than usual, my lungs stiff and my throat scratched.

"Get. Up." He kicked the seat I laid on.

Quickly, I stood to my feet to only fall on my knees.

"Stupid girl." Invidia scolded.

The man from before was asleep on the ground by my feet. His pants undone.

Samil's face was painted in anger as he leaned into my ear. "You will return home. You will clean your self up. And I expect you in my trailer before the show."

I nodded, trying best to stop any tears from escaping.

The ring leader spun around to Odin. The man was still under the haze of mendacium. "Thank you for your hospitality. You should expect your piece of sales when we return for the next season."

With a rough grasp of my wrist, Samil lead us all out the door.

A sand storm must have hit during our visit, for the path back was clouded with dust. My eyes burned from the mendacium, I struggled to stand straight.

The ring leader must have noticed my body buckle, for he threw me to the ground and scoffed. "You did this to yourself. Now make your own way back."

Invidia giggled as she skipped past me and hooked her arm around Samil's. Rene stooped down without hesitation. She gently grasped my arm to assist me up. On the other side Marius slid my arm around his shoulder.

The two became my crutches. They remained so for much longer than the walk back to White Top.