Twenty - Eight

BEHIND me Marius cried in anger, his heavy footsteps charged towards the ringleader. I stood up with a jolt, as Samil was distracted by Marius. Within seconds Marius had jabbed Samil in the upper cheek. Blood flew from the mouth of the man. 

Samil laughed spitting the crimson liquid from his mouth, onto Marius' boots.

"Hit her one more time..." Marius threatened. 

As if seduced from the statement, Samil turned towards me with his hand up in the air. 

In that moment the world stopped. Marius' body halted in his attempt to run to my side. Invidia's fear covered face in the background stood motionless. The cheers from the ignorant crowd lowered to a whisper. Samil's heavy breathing slowed and his fists came towards me with a sluggish pace. 

I turned to Marius, his face grimaced in anger and fear. My friends behind the curtain leaned forward through the curtains - their voices shot through the air, calling out to help. My eyes fell towards the ringleader. His demeanor was sickening. His stance of power intoxicated the tent. My stomach curled with disgust. 

I stood there half naked, sore and angry. I stood there staring at the creature in front of me and my mind flashed with images. 

If I allowed Samil to hit me, I would be kept under his dirty thumb for the rest of my life. 

If I allowed Samil to hit me, I would surrender to a life that belonged to the ringleader and his audience. 

If I allowed Samil to hit me, I would die. I would life the rest of my life in hopes of death. 

If I stopped Samil, I would expose the possibility of death tonight.

If I stopped Samil, I would surrender my friends to the grip of this creature. 

If I stopped Samil, then at least I would have tried to live... 

I reached up. 

My hands grasped the wrist of the man in front of me. 

With all my might I thrusted my other hand up against the jaw of the ringleader. 

The crowd went silent, Samil growled in pure displeasure, and gasps escaped the performer's around me. In the corner of my eyes Invidia seemed to take hurried steps to reach us. 

"You stupid, stupid girl." Samil hissed at my face. 

I stood strong as he leaned in closer. "Go ahead. Do your worst. Because no matter how long and how hard you try, I'll never sing for you again. I'll always fight back."

The audience before us grumbled among themselves as the scene unfolded. Odin in the best seat stood up. His guards around him followed suit. Samil turned to him in half panic before spitting towards me. "Nightingale...sing." 

"Screw you." I stated. 

Odin's loud heavy sigh echoed through the tent. "Samil...I believe we would all like to see the Nightingale sing...now."

I watched Samil's adam's apple bob up and down. "Sing!" He shouted at me as Odin's guards began to step forward on to the show's floor. 

Marius took a step closer to me, his hands gently wrapping around my waist. Yet, the movement fell short, for Invidia thrusted her hands on to my shoulders. "Just do what he says!" She cried in horror. 

Marius gently pushed her aside. 

"This isn't about you..." Samil growled. "This is about this stupid, naive whore who won't do as she's told!"

That's enough Samil." Marius snapped attempting to pull me away. 

With the pressure of the crowd and the angst that had developed through the nights. Samil shoved Marius to the ground, urgently grasped the nearest guard's hand gun and pointed the barrel at my face. 

The audience finally woken from their ignorant state. Screams filled the tent, the spectators chaotically ran towards exits and Odin made his way towards the ringleader. 

Samil stood in front of me with the power of the firearm. Odin leaned towards us. "If she doesn't sing...I suggest you find another girl. Or you can watch your circus find empty seats for the rest of your pathetic life."

The ringleader snarled in anger towards me, suddenly consumed in hysteria. "SING!"

He shook the gun closer to my face. My mouth gaped open in shock. He was going to shot and I had no idea where to go or what to do. 

Suddenly, Marius shoved me to the ground - laying his back against me. His hands reached out towards the gun. "Samil...put the gun down." Marius calmly stated. 

The ringleader snarled. "I'll shot you too I don't care."

"Samil...babe." Invidia's quivering voice came from behind me. "She'll sing. Don't worry. Just put the gun down."

Samil howled deliriously as the gun waved around the tent, it's target changing with each movement. Odin and his guards calmly took steps back towards the bustling crowd. Audience members ducked or ran, the performers pushed each other further way from the firearm and Marius' pressed his body closer to mine in protection. 

Invidia took a step closer to the frenzied man. "Put the gun down."

"Do you see what you're doing?!" Samil growled towards me. The gun pointed towards  the crowd. 

Panicked cries escaped the audience. 

"You just had to sing! You just had to do what I told you to do!" Samil grasped his hair in frustration, the barrel aimed between my eyes. "If my circus ends...I will kill you. I swear to god. I'll watch this bullet hit your stupid head and it will thrill me more than you have ever done yourself."

Marius quaked in disgust, his arms lunging forward at the ringleader. Invidia screamed in fear and reached forward too in attempt to stop Samil. 

A shot was fired within the madness. 

My ears rang from the burst of the bullet. Shrieks consumed the air. Blood hit my face. 

"Nalani..." Marius stuttered. 

I gazed down at the man in front of me. His arms were extended forward, covered in splatters of red dots and cradling Invidia.