Thirty - Eight

WHEN the time came, guards were at the door ready to bring me towards this evening's guests. Poppy - the young piano player, followed close behind. She glanced at me occasionally as everyone began to find their seats.

I motioned for her to settle.

The room was crowded this time around, there were new faces in the crowd. Samil mingled as usual. His rat faced charisma was beginning to show some use for Odin.

"Nightingale!" A scrawny man hissed in lust from the front row.

My lip twitched in disgust. "Good evening," I cooed in a rehearsed manner, attempting to appear as though I was foggy from mendacium.

The man's face flushed red.

On cue, Samil stood next to me. One arm wrapped around my shoulders, and the other resting on his hip. "Gentlemen," He announced. "Odin presents to you, his new treasured bird: Nightingale!"

The men hooted and hollered in thrill. I forced a smile.

"What song will you be signing today, darling?" Samil asked.

I smiled at Poppy, just before turning towards Samil. "An old favorite. But first...if I may?"

Odin shifted in his seat as I stepped towards him.

I kept my face soft and innocent. "As a treat to our special guests, and as a way to celebrate my residency here," I gingerly touched Odin's shoulder. His posture began to loosen. "I would like to allow our men to have drinks and mendacium early tonight?"

The men behind Odin cheered. Samil almost grinned. Odin, gave a small nod.

The large man eyed my frame as I continued to keep my gaze low - as if apologetic. "You're awfully generous today." Odin whispered.

I took a soft sigh. "I have no where else to go now. I belong to you."

"I knew you'd come to your senses eventually..." He licked his lips, just before grazing my jaw with his hand. "Poppy. Fetch the ladies. Bring us what Nightingale promised."

Laughter and cheers rang out through the room.

Poppy smiled coyly my way and soon darted out the room.

~*~

Within moments the room was filled. Everyone stood shoulder to shoulder, some leaned against the women who had joined us - all were intoxicated.

Poppy encouraged the ladies prior to this, to avoid taking or giving any mendacium. With a little push her and I were able to convince the lot to save the nuclear waste for this moment.

When Odin approved of my proposal, the women brought in mendacium and bottles of liquor. The only thing left to do now was sing. Sing until each man was high off of lust and black fumes.

I stood at the front of the room. Eyes were fixated between me and the trays of black vials and booze that past.

The air seemed thin most days,

I almost don't recognize that face.

The face that stares at me.

The men stared in awe as the ladies around them continued to replace their empty glasses.

A smile for those who ask,

Always left for last,

That face that stares at me.

When I began to move with Poppy's melody, Odin and his guests appeared to be memorized with their mendacium haze.

Most days the ground seemed fine,